I'm back

Boozer76

After numerous emails from Max begging me to return, as well as a promise from dickkotite that he will write a 10 page essay on the history of Poland and the positive effects Polish people have had in the world, I have decided to return. I am glad Max saw the errors of his ways and realized I was far too valuable an asset to let go.

AF!!!!

After numerous emails from Max begging me to return, as well as a promise from dickkotite that he will write a 10 page essay on the history of Poland and the positive effects Polish people have had in the world, I have decided to return. I am glad Max saw the errors of his ways and realized I was far too valuable an asset to let go.

AF!!!!

Did the decision to return include you agreeing to change your title from "resident dick shaker" to "Piss Boy"?

AF!!!!

10 page essay on the history of Poland? Hey, good luck DK...:yawn:

AF!!!!

I didn't even know you were gone.

Hey Boozer, welcome back! Check these out:

Did you hear in the news that a 747 recently crashed in a cemetery in

Poland? The Polish officials have so far retrieved 2000 bodies.

Did you hear about the latest Polish invention? It's a solar-powered

flashlight.

Did you hear about the Polish family that froze to death outside a

theater? They were waiting to see the movie "Closed for the Winter."

Two Polish hunters were driving through the country to go bear

hunting. They came upon a fork in the road where a sign read "BEAR

LEFT" so they went home.

Did you hear about the million-dollar Polish Lottery?

You win a dollar a year for a million years.

How about the Polish car pool?

They meet at work

Why is there no Polish National Ice Hockey team?

They all drowned during spring training.

Did you hear about the Pole that broke his leg at the golf course?

He fell off the ball washer.

How can you spot a Polish airplane in a snowstorm?

It's the one with snow chains on the propellers.

i dont know whats more disturbing, the fact that this thing escalted to the point that you quit on us (which i didnt even know), or that max was sweet talking you and you guys were somehow talking about me

MAX: DK's alright. he was just busting...

BOOZER: well, ok i guess. but you should have more control of what the posters say around here...

dude a few guys around here annoy me. YOU, have never annoyed me in fact i find you pleasant like kilbasa with honey mustard but you have to relax.

I am still going to say all the b/s i always say. thats just the way it has to be. god made me that way and thats that. sorry. what, you think you are above god?

well you better appreciate this. i was going to spend the afternoon writing about how the estonians could be the greatest slave race ever and how they would take it and not complain but here goes:

The name of Poland comes from the name of the Polanie tribe or people tilling land. That tribe settled down in the Warta River basin, an area which was later called Wielkopolska [Great Poland]. The center of authority was in Gniezno. Archaeological excavations permit an examination of the development of the Gniezno castle and its powerful fortifications, dating back to the 8th century. The tribal rulers of the Polanie who later resided in the castle were called the Piasts, from the name of their legendary ancestor.

Throughout the 10th century, the Polanie and their Piast princes conquered and consolidated their rule over other Lecithic tribes living between the Odra and Bug Rivers, the Baltic coast and the Carpathian Mountains. The Polanie conquered successively the Kujawianie tribe, whose main castle was in Kruszwica, the Mazowszanie tribe and their castle of Plock, the Ledzianie tribe and Sandomierz, and the Pomeranian tribe and their castles of Gdansk and Wolin. Toward the end of the century they seized the Wislanie tribe with their castle of Krakow, as well as the Silesian tribes with Wroclaw, Opole and Legnica.

Mieszko I was the first prince of the Piast dynasty to be mentioned by contemporary historical sources (ca. 960-992). We even know the names of his forefathers from oral tradition. Nonetheless, it is Mieszko I who is recognized as the founder of the Polish state. It was during his time that conquests were completed and the tribes whose languages and cultures showed great affinity were united. The prince reorganized the new territories and united them into a uniform state system. In 966, Mieszko was baptized, thus placing the Polish state in the political system of Central Europe and determining the European and Christian road of development of the Polish state and society.

Poland of the 10th through 12th centuries, as many other states of the early Middle Ages, was a monarchy treated by the ruler as a dynastic property and heritage--a patriarchy. The duke and a small group of magnates who surrounded him (the erstwhile tribal chiefs or people elevated to power by the duke) commanded strong and centralized powers. The army was made up of an elite several- thousand-strong team, provided for and equipped by the duke, as well as of free yeomen called to serve whenever such need arose.

The state was divided into provinces, but the administrative set-up had much to do with old tribal patterns. Provinces, in turn, were divided into castle districts, some one hundred of them altogether. In each district there was the master representing the duke and wielding power on his behalf: military, judicial, fiscal and administrative. He had an entourage of a small number of warriors. Yeomen, making up the hardcore of the population, had to pay a levy to the duke. High social position during these early stages of the monarchy stemmed not from personal wealth or tribal ownership, but from having a share in power and the rights bestowed by the duke to use part of the state income.

When in 960 Mieszko was assuming power around 960, the basic dilemma appeared for Poland, which would confront her over the next few centuries: what attitude the Piast-created state should take towards the Empire and the Papacy. The expansion of the German state to the lands on the middle and lower stretches of the Elbe River, the conquest of the Slavonic tribes living there, caused the Polish state to face a powerful, dangerous and, at the same time, relatively civilized neighbor.

The aspirations of Germany found expression in the imperial coronation of Otto I in 962. The Polish Prince could opt either for supporting a pagan realm and struggle for full political independence (this would have been an option eventually leading to defeat) or for acceptance of baptism and bringing Poland into the sphere of European Christian civilization. The latter choice would shape relations with the Empire on the principle of the recognition of its informal superiority. Thanks to the decision of Mieszko I, Poland was provided with the foundations of her development and participation in the commonwealth of the states and nations of Europe.

In 965 Mieszko married Czech Princess Dabrowka. Her retinue included priests who took up missionary work in Poland. The ruler himself was baptized in 966. Two years later, the first Polish bishopric was established in Poznan with Bishop Jordan at the head. The alliance with the Czech state, the baptism and the person of bishop Jordan (most probably an Italian) reflect Poland's striving to counter-balance her attitude of dependence on the Empire. A more eloquent manifestation of this policy is provided by the act of putting Poland under the papal protection by Mieszko I around 990.

The son of and successor to Mieszko, Boleslaus the Brave (992-1025), went along the same path of increasing Poland's independence at the early stages of his rule. In 997, he organized a mission by the Czech Bishop Adalbert to the lands of the Prussian tribes and, after the missionary perished, he paid for his body, deposited it in the Gniezno Cathedral and took advantage of the canonization of the martyr to upgrade Poland's rank. The short-lived international political conditions favored those plans.

The idealistically-minded Emperor Otto III wanted to build a universal Christian community to embrace Sclavinia (Slavonic) lands, to be represented by Boleslaus the Brave. Both rulers met at the St. Adalbert's grave in Gniezno in the year 1000. There the Emperor dubbed Boleslaus a patrician of the Empire and handed him St. Maurice's spear, put the imperial diadem on his head and, most importantly, agreed (with Rome's approval) to establish a Polish Church metropolis in Gniezno. The Church hierarchy, complemented with the first Benedictine monasteries, became an important component of the political structure of the state. The political independence acquired in that way had to be defended by Poland later, when heirs to Otto III changed the Empire's policy toward Poland.

Boleslaus the Brave defeated the Germans in the long war of 1002-1018. Afterward, he consolidated his edge in East-Central Europe with an expedition against Kiev in 1018. Poland's independence was manifested by the royal coronations of her rulers (Boleslaus the Brave in 1025 and Mieszko II in 1025.)

However, Mieszko II was deprived of his crown in 1031 following a lost war against the Germans, Ruthenians and Czechs, resulting in the outburst of infighting for the princely throne, the death of Mieszko II, a rebellion of magnates and a subsequent rebellion of pagan subjects, destruction of the Church organization and flight from Poland of Casimir, the young heir to the throne. Casimir returned to Poland with German assistance, rebuilt the state and became known as the Restorer, but he did not attempt to shed the dependence on the Empire.

Casimir's son, Boleslaus II, the Bold (1054-1079,) reconstituted the Church Metropolis and, as a result of numerous battle victories, reached for the crown in 1076. In doing so, he took advantage of the Empire's conflict with the Pope by siding with Gregory VII's struggle against Henry IV. However, he also fell into conflict with Polish magnates concerned by over-centralized state power. Fighting the opposition, the king killed the Krakow Bishop Stanislaus (future saint and Poland's patron,) which caused such great indignation that it swept him from the throne.

Boleslaus II's brother and successor, Ladislaus Herman, settled for the title of prince and acknowledged a loose dependence on the Empire. His son, Boleslaus III, the Wrymouth (1102-1138,) also was a prince although he waged numerous successful wars, repelling a German invasion in 1109. He united the magnates and knights in Poland with a struggle to regain Pomerania. He did conquer the land and helped organize the missionary activity by Otto of Bamberg, who baptized the Pomeranians.

Gallus Anonimus left behind a clearly formulated account of the political program of Boleslaus II and his camp. The ruler is presented in the chronicle as a prince, but the state he ruled is characterized as a kingdom [regnum]. The supreme duty of the prince was to defend the "old freedom of Poland."

"I prefer to lose the Kingdom of Poland, while defending her freedom," the prince was quoted as saying to the Imperial envoys, "than to retain control in the ignominy of serfdom."

What were the reasons for the constant return by the Polish princes, despite setbacks, to the independence-oriented policy?

Certainly one of the reasons was the military character of the state of the first Piasts. That state come into being through conquests, with the prince commanding strong and well-armed troops. The territorial and demographic potential of the Polish state also favored the struggle for independence. Poland's territory amounted to about 250,000 sq. kilometers with a population of some one million.

10 page essay on the history of Poland? Hey, good luck DK...:yawn:

you could have started at the Polish National Library,, but they had a fire last week and all five books were destroyed, the real shame was that three of them werent even colored yet,

It's pathedic that you have over 500 posts on this Jets Message board being a Pats fan and god knows how many on the insider

1st ray ray & now this post from deeeeep left field. tx it seems your beloved fan club from some other site has found you. stop leaving bread crumbs when you travel man.

These are the two best ones.

Stir it up over there and make me proud.;)

Controversy is very good for message boards.

Good luck.

http://kffl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=10

maybe i should go over there :mrgreen: can i tell them you sent me, Tx? :lol:

do you think i would even last an hour? :lol:...

hmmmm... any guesses that the answer would be no...especially if you start posting lyrics.

:baby:

These are the two best ones.

Stir it up over there and make me proud.;)

Controversy is very good for message boards.

Good luck.

http://kffl.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Thanks

I am now a member of patsfan.com oh and now I see why you hang on our sites your boards are extremely boring.

Archived