Jets will hold Training Camp in NJ

flgreen

New York Jets to hold N.J. training camp because of lockout

Story Highlights

Due to the lockout, the New York Jets will hold their training camp in N.J.

The Jets have held their training camp at Cortland State the past two years

Baltimore Ravens also changed their training camp plans due to lockout

NEW YORK (AP) The New York Jets will conduct their training camp at their facility in New Jersey and not at Cortland State University, where they trained the past two summers.

The Jets become the second NFL team to change training camp plans because of the owners' lockout of the players, now in its fourth month. Baltimore announced the same decision this week, electing to remain at the Ravens' complex rather than hold camp at Winchester, Md.

Training camps open in late July.

Citing "all the variables presented by this unique offseason," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum says the team felt it was best to remain at its practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

He said the Jets plan to train in Cortland in 2012.

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/06/24/jets.training.camp.nj.ap/index.html#ixzz1QDOtDt00

All of the reports on this keep talking like TC is a sure thing... I am pretty sure a deal is about done...,

The Jets are VERY conservative with breaking news on their own. So it is one thing for them to make internal preparations to have camp in NJ, that is defintiely understandable. But for them to release this statement, they are feeling good that camp is happening, they are feeling really good about it.

This is really good news, especially for us NJ based fans. :D Even better for NJ based fans that have a Jets website and work 20 minutes away from the practice facility.

sign.jpg

The New York Jets released a statement today stating that training camp will be held in NJ this year.  Two years ago they moved from Hofstra, NY to SUNY Cortland.  When they built a state of the art training facility in Florham Park, NJ there was much speculation about that being their new training camp home.  Rex Ryan and staff wanted to get away, or so the story goes, and that is why the move to Cortland happened.

This is good news for NJ Jets fans, they will have free access to see the team practice throughout the summer.

Clay Hampton, senior director, operations, said that moving the team, staff and equipment from New Jersey to upstate New York is an extensive process that takes a number of weeks. With that timeframe in mind, the Jets have decided to stay at home this summer.

“Training camp is a collaborative effort that requires many different departments to work together to be successful,” said Hampton, “and staying at our facility gives us the best chance to accomplish that goal. This is a new operation, but with the template we have in place from OTAs and minicamps, we are prepared for this scenario.”

What do you think about this move?  Will you be going to see the New York Jets practice at Florham Park?  Let us know in our NY Jets forum.

di</img>di</img>

NHitD-LqRww

View the full article

Jets opt for NJ training camp

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive The New York Jets aren't going away to summer camp.

Because of the lockout, the team has decided to pass on its annual trip to Cortland, N.Y., opting to hold training camp at its facility in Florham Park, N.J.

"With all the variables presented by this unique offseason, we felt it was best for the Jets that we hold our training camp here at our practice facility," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said in a statement. "This was not an easy decision, but it's one we felt we needed to make in order to give us the best chance to win."

Jets blog

nyj.gif Looking for more on

the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The Jets trained at SUNY Cortland, located 30 miles south of Syracuse, in 2009 and 2010. When Rex Ryan was hired as coach in 2009, it was his desire to have training camp at a remote location, even though the team had just completed a state-of-the-art practice facility in Florham Park.

This will mark the first training camp there. Prior to Cortland, the Jets held camp for four decades at their previous year-round home, Hofstra University, in Hempstead, Long Island.

Once the lockout reached June, the Jets started to formulate contingency plans, realizing there was a good chance they'd have to stay home. Logistically, it takes more than a couple of weeks to move the operation on the road. Because the latter half of July will be spent on free agency -- assuming the owners and players agree to a new collective bargaining agreement -- the Jets decided to eliminate the headache of moving.

"We are disappointed, but we understand why the Jets management made this decision, and we're looking forward to hosting the team next year," SUNY Cortland president Erik Bitterbaum said. "Our partnership remains strong, and we will continue to support the team as enthusiastic Jets fans."

The Jets will honor the remaining two years on their contract with Cortland. Studies indicated that the Jets' three-week presence in Cortland last summer pumped about $5 million into the local economy.

The Jets will invite Cortland staff members and Cortland alumni to events at the New Jersey site, and will extend their internship program for Cortland students with interest in working at training camp. Tannenbaum even reached out to a local eatery in Cortland.

He dialed up Mark Braun, who owns Doug's Fish Fry, located a half-mile from the college's entrance. His small restaurant has become something of a home base for the team's fan club and a hot spot for fans, media and players. Braun was invited to cater for the players one day at the Florham Park training camp.

"Mike Tannenbaum personally called me at about quarter to 10," Braun said. "He said, 'Mark, I've got good news and bad news. We're not coming back.'

"As a fan, of course I'm going to miss it, but I kind of expected it, I guess," said Braun, a Jets season-ticket holder for more than a decade. "But he said he appreciated all my support and did invite us to cater for the team when the labor dispute gets resolved. I don't really understand the labor dispute to get angry. I was so in awe that he called me. I'm just a little restaurant owner."

Dude it wasn't like Long Island was an option. So this really comes down to the Jets being in short driving distance for the majority of the fans.

That was really just a general statement. :)

jets play in NJ- only made more economic and business sense to construct a facility- a first class facility in NJ. Something we actually do not share with anyone!Giants or a college Hofstra

None taken. Guess I wont be seeing you at Florham Park.

while it sucks for Cortland, it is great for me as I can actually attend practices instead of relying on some of these beat writers who cannot tell the difference between a slant pattern and an out route

while it sucks for Cortland, it is great for me as I can actually attend practices instead of relying on some of these beat writers who cannot tell the difference between a slant pattern and an out route

This is going to be really good for JetNation. I can get there a bunch, you can get there...we will have it covered nicely. No offense to the Manish Mehta's of the world but I think coverage that is based on how the players are actually performing on the practice field will be a good thing.

This is going to be really good for JetNation. I can get there a bunch, you can get there...we will have it covered nicely. No offense to the Manish Mehta's of the world but I think coverage that is based on how the players are actually performing on the practice field will be a good thing.

Yeah, Max. Knowing you're out there will really ease my mind.

I'm really looking forward to JN's camp reports. We really haven't had any since Jetcane (who did a GREAT job at it) flew the coup a few years ago. Not for nuthin' but JI had a lot of reporting and pictures all those years out on the Island and now JN will have the best stuff. As Bart would say: CAN'T WAIT!!!

Oh yea, I have to give props to T0m Shane's Cortland camp reports-he also did a great job and was actually able to SEE what we here all wanted to know about by how the board was going. Man I hope this thing gets settled next week so I can spend more than 20 minutes at a time on the internet-it's boring without the Jets.

I'm really looking forward to JN's camp reports. We really haven't had any since Jetcane (who did a GREAT job at it) flew the coup a few years ago. Not for nuthin' but JI had a lot of reporting and pictures all those years out on the Island and now JN will have the best stuff. As Bart would say: CAN'T WAIT!!!

Oh yea, I have to give props to T0m Shane's Cortland camp reports-he also did a great job and was actually able to SEE what we here all wanted to know about by how the board was going. Man I hope this thing gets settled next week so I can spend more than 20 minutes at a time on the internet-it's boring without the Jets.

Thanks Jimmy.

The good part is that what we are working on some video as well for this season. We will be posting a bunch of new information soon. Off-topic a bit but the site is moving to a hosted solution in a few days. Meaning we can now have as many people here on gameday as we can get. 1,000 plus online at a time would not be a problem. And it comes with a 250 user chat room which is also hosted (meaning it will be FAST).

And Tom did a really good job that first year in Cortland, those reports were good.

New York Jets to hold N.J. training camp because of lockout

Story Highlights

Due to the lockout, the New York Jets will hold their training camp in N.J.

The Jets have held their training camp at Cortland State the past two years

Baltimore Ravens also changed their training camp plans due to lockout

NEW YORK (AP) The New York Jets will conduct their training camp at their facility in New Jersey and not at Cortland State University, where they trained the past two summers.

The Jets become the second NFL team to change training camp plans because of the owners' lockout of the players, now in its fourth month. Baltimore announced the same decision this week, electing to remain at the Ravens' complex rather than hold camp at Winchester, Md.

Training camps open in late July.

Citing "all the variables presented by this unique offseason," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum says the team felt it was best to remain at its practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

He said the Jets plan to train in Cortland in 2012.

Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1QDOtDt00

Then I've officially changed my Training camp logo...

Training11a.jpg.opt275x390o0,0s275x390.jpg

And Tom did a really good job that first year in Cortland, those reports were good.

Thanks, Max. I know some people got very upset that I spent so many tweets unfairly criticizing poor ol' Kerry Rhodes and Vernon Gholston but I did my best.

Thanks, Max. I know some people got very upset that I spent so many tweets unfairly criticizing poor ol' Kerry Rhodes and Vernon Gholston but I did my best.

Be careful, we can dig up your reports. And if they read and make you look like a visionary, I can edit them.

:)

Be careful, we can dig up your reports. And if they read and make you look like a visionary, I can edit them.

My foresight is legendary. The only thing I said that didn't play out was that Mark Sanchez probably wasn't ready to start. Other than that, my genius was overwhelming.

So the JETS will have training camp on the same field that the worlds best flag football team ever played on?

Cool.

So the JETS will have training camp on the same field that the worlds best flag football team ever played on?

Cool.

Yeah and I bet the two woman on that team and the 53 year old QB are pretty happy about that, lol.

My foresight is legendary. The only thing I said that didn't play out was that Mark Sanchez probably wasn't ready to start. Other than that, my genius was overwhelming.

My foreskin could have done better!

Cool.

You know it my brother! After all, you guys all worked out the kinks earlier this year with Greg Buttle as you Celebrity HC!

MetLife%20Central%20016.jpg.opt656x492o0,0s656x492.jpg

Archived