December 29, 1968
New York Jets 27, Oakland Raiders 23
|New York Jets||10||3||7||7||27|
at Shea Stadium, Flushing, Queens, New York
- NYJ - Maynard 14 pass from Namath (Turner kick)
- NYJ - Field goal Turner 33
- OAK - Biletnikoff 29 pass from Lamonica (Blanda kick)
- NYJ - Field goal Turner 36
- OAK - Field goal Blanda 26
- OAK - Field goal Blanda 9
- NYJ - Lammons 20 pass from Namath (Turner kick)
- OAK - Field goal Blanda 20
- OAK - Banaszak 4 run (Blanda kick)
- NYJ - Maynard 6 pass from Namath (Turner kick)
Super Bowl III
Sunday, January 12, 1969
New York Jets 16, Baltimore Colts 7
|New York Jets||0||7||6||3||16|
at Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida
- Game weather: 73°F (Overcast)
- TV announcers (NBC): Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote
- Referee: Tom Bell
- Game Attendance: 75,389
Jets quarterback Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory on the Thursday before the game, then went out and led the AFL to its first Super Bowl victory over a Baltimore team that had lost only once in 16 games all season.
Namath, chosen the outstanding player, completed 17 of 28 passes for 206 yards and directed a steady attack that dominated the NFL champions after the Jets' defense had intercepted Colts quarterback Earl Morrall three times in the first half.
The Jets had 337 total yards, including 121 rushing yards by Matt Snell.
Johnny Unitas, who had missed most of the season with a sore elbow, came off the bench and led Baltimore to its only touchdown late in the fourth quarter after New York led 16-0.
- NYJ - Matt Snell 4 yard run (Jim Turner kick)
- NYJ - Field goal Jim Turner 32 yards
- NYJ - Field goal Jim Turner 30 yards
- NYJ - Field goal Jim Turner 9 yards '
- BAL - Jerry Hill 1 yard run (Lou Michaels kick)