1982 Playoffs

From JetsWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


First Round

Sunday January 9, 1983

New York Jets 44, Cincinnati Bengals 17

New York Jets31732144
San Diego Chargers1403017

at Cincinnati Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati

  • TV announcers (NBC): Charlie Jones and Len Dawson
  • Game Attendance: 57,560

The underdog Jets overcame an early 14-3 deficit by racking up 517 yards of offense and scoring 21 points in the fourth quarter. Running back Freeman McNeil led the Jets to a victory with 210 rushing yards and a touchdown, while also catching a pass for 9 yards and throwing a touchdown pass on a halfback option play. Receiver Wesley Walker caught 8 passes for 145 yards and a touchdown. Jets quarterback Richard Todd completed 20 of 28 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown. Playing in the final postseason game of his legendary career, Bengals quarterback Ken Anderson completed 26 of 35 passes for a career playoff high 354 yards and 2 touchdowns, but was intercepted 3 times. Receiver Cris Collinsworth caught 7 passes for 120 yards. Two first quarter touchdown passes from Anderson gave the Bengals an early 14-3 lead, but New York stormed back with 17 points in the second quarter and added a field goal early in the third. With time running out in the third quarter, Bengals kicker Jim Breech made 20-yard field goal. So despite giving up 20 unanswered points, Cincinnati only trailed 23-17 going into the final period. However, the Bengals self destructed in the fourth quarter, suffering one of the worst collapses in franchise history. Throughout the fourth quarter, Cincinnati had a 69-yard touchdown pass called back by a false start penalty, gave up two Jets rushing touchdowns, missed a 46-yard field goal, and threw two interceptions, one of which was returned a playoff record 98 yards for a touchdown by safety Darrol Ray.


1st quarter

  • CIN - Curtis 32 pass from Anderson (Breech kick)
  • NYJ - FG Leahy 32
  • CIN - Ross 2 pass from Anderson (Breech kick)

2nd quarter

  • NYJ - Gaffney 14 pass from McNeil (Leahy kick)
  • NYJ - Walker 14 pass from Todd (Leahy kick)
  • NYJ - FG Leahy 24

3rd quarter

  • NYJ - FG Leahy 47
  • CIN - FG Breech 20

4th quarter

  • NYJ - McNeil 20 run (Leahy kick)
  • NYJ - Ray 98 interception return (Leahy kick)
  • NYJ - Crutchfield 1 run (Leahy kick)

Second Round

Saturday January 15, 1983

New York Jets 17, Los Angeles Raiders 14 (OT)

New York Jets730717
Pittsburgh Steelers0014014

at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles

  • Game time: 4:00 p.m. EST/1:00 p.m. PST
  • TV announcers (NBC): Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen
  • Game Attendance: 90,037

Scott Dierking scored the Jets' winning touchdown with 3:45 remaining. The New York defense then forced two interceptions in the final minutes to seal the victory. Jets running back Freeman McNeil rushed for 105 yards and caught a pass for 11. Wesley Walker caught 7 passes for 169 yards and a touchdown. A strange incident occurred when Jets coach Walt Michaels received a prank phone call at halftime of the game and was convinced it was the Raiders’ owner, Al Davis, disguising his voice. The call turned out to be from a bartender in Queens who had bet on the Raiders. Afterward, Michaels ranted about Davis even though the Jets had won.


1st quarter

  • NYJ - Walker 20 pass from Todd (Leahy kick)

2nd quarter

  • NYJ - FG Leahy 30

3rd quarter

  • RAI - Allen 3 run (Bahr kick)
  • RAI - Barnwell 57 pass from Plunkett (Bahr kick)

4th quarter

  • NYJ - Dierking 1 run (Leahy kick)

Conference Final

Miami Dolphins 14, New York Jets 0 Sunday January 23, 1983

New York Jets00000
Miami Dolphins007714

at Miami Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida

  • Game time: 4:00 p.m. EST
  • TV announcers (NBC): Dick Enberg and [[Merlin Olsen
  • Referee: Pat Haggerty
  • Game Attendance: 67,396

On a wet, muddy field (the Jets complained about the Dolphins' decision not to place the tarp over the field before the game), the Dolphins defense held Jets quarterback Richard Todd to only 15 of 37 completions for 103 yards and intercepted 5 of his passes. Linebacker A.J. Duhe led Miami to a victory with 3 interceptions, scoring a 35-yard touchdown and setting up the other Dolphins score. Miami held the Jets to 139 total yards and forced 5 interceptions. The game was scoreless until the third period when Duhe intercepted a pass from Todd. Aided by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Jets, the Dolphins advanced to the New York 7-yard line where Woody Bennett rushed into the end zone for a touchdown. Then early in the final period, Duhe intercepted a screen pass and returned it 35 yards for the game-clinching touchdown. The game ended up being knon as the Mud Bowl.


3rd quarter

  • MIA - Bennett 7 run (von Schamann kick)

4th quarter

  • MIA - Duhe 35 interception return (von Schamann kick)
Personal tools
Google AdSense