Notes on the O-Line

RutgersJetFan

On the LG battle: Tonight was a great gage for both contenders due to the fact that Mangold wasn’t playing. Therefore it was easy to check both players out objectively to see who could do more on their own. Ducasse looks incredibly strong and driven. But it’s pretty obvious that the ‘raw’ stamp is right on the money. He really needs to get quicker off the snap on the inside, where it’s a entirely different world in that regard. It looks like he’s also having trouble from a footwork standpoint. I don’t think he’s ready to start this season at all, not on the interior at least.

Slauson looks exactly like I expected he would. He looked like a 2nd-year project pick who was desperately missing the guidance of his All-Pro center. He’s a strong dude and he looked decent at times, but the Giants’ line is stacked with vets and they took advantage of him, which will probably happen at times throughout the season. However it’s important to note that opposing teams also did the same to Faneca last season in regards to his age. He did stand Canty up a few times but he had a hard time shedding him after. I don’t think there’s any question right now that Slauson’s the guy, but I think that has more to do with Ducasse making the positional switch and Slauson already having time in the system. That being said, Slauson is in no way as bad as Adrien Clarke. So I think we can all breath a sigh of relief in that regard.

Turner actually wasn’t half-bad at center. Slauson got beat a couple of times and Turner picked it up nicely. I think the depth concerns are blown way out of proportion on the line. Hunter is good, Turner can rotate in at almost every position, and Ducasse’s talent is pretty obvious. They have 3 quality backups and that’s a lot more than most other teams can say.

Woody looks older. He’s still able to make his impact on brute strength and veteran savvy, but Moore bailed him out a few times and I think if Slauson continues to outperform Ducasse at LG, either Callahan may have to start considering Ducasse to succeed Woody for next year, or RT will be a primary draft/free agency need going into ’11.

On Brick: I think he’s hit the point where his skill has completely caught up with his natural ability 100%. He’s incredibly nimble on his feet, so fast for a guy at his position, and rarely gives up his real estate. He’s awesome in selling the rollout that’s clearly becoming one of Sanchez’s favorite things to do. He completely dominated Umenyiora on pretty much every snap, and though he’s generally played Osi well in past matchups, this was just so one-sided. There was also one play where Kiwi lined up over him and almost had him with a swim-move, and Brick just kind of swatted him away and down to the ground. He looks stronger and faster than ever and he’s developing an awesome mean streak. Yes, this was just a preseason game, and Osi’s a bit washed up, but he really did look that good.

I think if Slauson continues to outperform Ducasse at LG, either Callahan may have to start considering Ducasse to succeed Woody for next year, or RT will be a primary draft/free agency need going into ’11.

I think the organization really wants this situation to play out...Slauson being good enough to start at LG with Ducasse as the long term RT...hell, Ducasse might be the long term RT anyway.

On the LG battle: Tonight was a great gage for both contenders due to the fact that Mangold wasn’t playing. Therefore it was easy to check both players out objectively to see who could do more on their own. Ducasse looks incredibly strong and driven. But it’s pretty obvious that the ‘raw’ stamp is right on the money. He really needs to get quicker off the snap on the inside, where it’s a entirely different world in that regard. It looks like he’s also having trouble from a footwork standpoint. I don’t think he’s ready to start this season at all, not on the interior at least.

Slauson looks exactly like I expected he would. He looked like a 2nd-year project pick who was desperately missing the guidance of his All-Pro center. He’s a strong dude and he looked decent at times, but the Giants’ line is stacked with vets and they took advantage of him, which will probably happen at times throughout the season. However it’s important to note that opposing teams also did the same to Faneca last season in regards to his age. He did stand Canty up a few times but he had a hard time shedding him after. I don’t think there’s any question right now that Slauson’s the guy, but I think that has more to do with Ducasse making the positional switch and Slauson already having time in the system. That being said, Slauson is in no way as bad as Adrien Clarke. So I think we can all breath a sigh of relief in that regard.

Turner actually wasn’t half-bad at center. Slauson got beat a couple of times and Turner picked it up nicely. I think the depth concerns are blown way out of proportion on the line. Hunter is good, Turner can rotate in at almost every position, and Ducasse’s talent is pretty obvious. They have 3 quality backups and that’s a lot more than most other teams can say.

Woody looks older. He’s still able to make his impact on brute strength and veteran savvy, but Moore bailed him out a few times and I think if Slauson continues to outperform Ducasse at LG, either Callahan may have to start considering Ducasse to succeed Woody for next year, or RT will be a primary draft/free agency need going into ’11.

On Brick: I think he’s hit the point where his skill has completely caught up with his natural ability 100%. He’s incredibly nimble on his feet, so fast for a guy at his position, and rarely gives up his real estate. He’s awesome in selling the rollout that’s clearly becoming one of Sanchez’s favorite things to do. He completely dominated Umenyiora on pretty much every snap, and though he’s generally played Osi well in past matchups, this was just so one-sided. There was also one play where Kiwi lined up over him and almost had him with a swim-move, and Brick just kind of swatted him away and down to the ground. He looks stronger and faster than ever and he’s developing an awesome mean streak. Yes, this was just a preseason game, and Osi’s a bit washed up, but he really did look that good.

Agree on all points, but I think Slauson's leash may be short this year. They wont hesitate to get Ducasse playing time if he starts to get it, and if Slasuon slips. Brick will be an all-pro this year and for the rest of his career.

+1

all this revis talk got me thinking the other day.some guys where saying that the jets cant win without revis and some say they can.i started thinking if there was anybody that the jets couldnt truly live without.i could only come up with 1 name.d'brick

Oh and props on the D'Brick love...he's right around that point in his career where people will start to appreciate his talent and play...I remember hearing Jets fans saying that Mangold is the only guy on the offense right now with HOF potential...D'Brick's the same way except he hasn't been media blown yet.

I think the organization really wants this situation to play out...Slauson being good enough to start at LG with Ducasse as the long term RT...hell, Ducasse might be the long term RT anyway.

I think that's the plan, Ducasse was RT in college anyway.

Now that's what I call a post. Great job & keep em coming if possible...

+1 great post, very insightful...D'Brick is def coming into his own, not so sure about your Woody comments...it is early, at the same time think Moore is very underrated

Great post RJF. I noticed the same with Slauson, but thought he looked pretty good for his first start. Definitely a strong dude, he just getting used to the different looks a line can give. The Gents use a lot of stunts and I think he was getting a bit lost, but overall I thought he played pretty damn good.

+1

all this revis talk got me thinking the other day.some guys where saying that the jets cant win without revis and some say they can.i started thinking if there was anybody that the jets couldnt truly live without.i could only come up with 1 name.d'brick

This. And its why he was the first to resign. People want to say its because his contract was so team friendly, and that has some truth, but its because he's that important. DBrick is protecting the franchise and he's actually outstanding at doing so. Pretty sure he'll be a consensus top 3 LT when this year is done.

I think that's the plan, Ducasse was RT in college anyway.

Thats what should happen. RJF mentioned his footwork, its soooo much different from LG to RT. Playing in a box like that is a tough transition for a guy who's been on the end. You could see that and Woody definitely is aging so IMO the best case scenario is Slauson takes the LG spot and runs with it and Vlad becomes Woody's replacement.

slauson had a brutal holding penalty... i dont know how much of an upgrade he is over Faneca. I dont know if this year's line is really better without him. Agree that Ducasse isn't ready. And if a guy isn't ready to play guard he for damn sure isn't read to play tackle.

and for the record Ducasse was never a RT in college.

Turner was solid. Dbrick was excellent as usual.

slauson had a brutal holding penalty... i dont know how much of an upgrade he is over Faneca. I dont know if this year's line is really better without him. Agree that Ducasse isn't ready. And if a guy isn't ready to play guard he for damn sure isn't read to play tackle.

Suprised you feel that way about Slauson.....I was VERY impressed from what I saw. He's a monster of a man, has road grading abilities, and he didn't get beat for a sack

Suprised you feel that way about Slauson.....I was VERY impressed from what I saw. He's a monster of a man, has road grading abilities, and he didn't get beat for a sack

that holding call he basically got beat like a drum and tackled the dude. It wasn't pretty. He got good push on running downs but not great (like faneca would do). overall his run blocking was better than his pass pro but that's not much diff than Ducasse or Faneca. im rooting for Ducasse to learn quickly and beat slauson out. Slauson was no Adrien Clarke but he's no Alan Faneca either. He's passable.

It's always a bonus if your 6th rounder pans out....I guess that's what I'm rooting for

Nevertheless, Vlad is completely raw. I may be awhile before he can be uncorked

it depends on what we characterize as "pan out" - Slauson looked like an average player. Not great not terrible. I guess that's ok. For those who say they will be better without Faneca, i think that's wishful. if Vlad turns it on (i agree he's way too raw) then that might be an upgrade.

all this being said it's tough to evaluate the OL without Mangold. He makes everyone better.

Turner starts, Slauson backs up, Vlad redshirts. I dunno what we're supposed to see between now and opening night that would explain why the obvious plan is the one we're evidently not even considering.

that would be better if Turner started at LG but i dont know if the staff is even working him there. He might be the best option though. It's a very interesting thought.

it depends on what we characterize as "pan out" - Slauson looked like an average player. Not great not terrible. I guess that's ok. For those who say they will be better without Faneca, i think that's wishful. if Vlad turns it on (i agree he's way too raw) then that might be an upgrade.

all this being said it's tough to evaluate the OL without Mangold. He makes everyone better.

Anyone that says the OLine will be "better" without Faneca is smoking some serious pine

If the OLine can keep chugging away as the best in the business, we'll be just fine

Oh and props on the D'Brick love...he's right around that point in his career where people will start to appreciate his talent and play...I remember hearing Jets fans saying that Mangold is the only guy on the offense right now with HOF potential...D'Brick's the same way except he hasn't been media blown yet.

I have to put them on the same level at this point. As important as Mangold is in the running game, Brick is equally integral to the passing game. Those were some very good pass rushers he went up against last night who were certainly looking to create some noise, and Brick didn't falter once. Like I said, I know it was only one preseason game, but boy he looked that much better.

Turner starts, Slauson backs up, Vlad redshirts. I dunno what we're supposed to see between now and opening night that would explain why the obvious plan is the one we're evidently not even considering.

I don't see how this isn't being seriously considered after last night. Turner looked better at center than Slauson did at guard, and logic dictates that will probably translate over for Turner to LG. Right now I have to believe that they know what they have in Turner, but want to see what Slauson can do with the starting unit over the course of camp.

I'm unfortunetly starting to think that this is going to be Pete Kendall Part II.

This is nothing like that. Instead of Adrien Clarke we have a guy who's been working with the best OL coach in the game the last 2 years, and another who we drafted in the 2nd round. Meanwhile, you didnt see Pete Kendall allowing a league-leading 7 sacks the year before we let him go.

Gruden said that the call was marginal at best on Slauson. You are right about Ducasse not being a RT in college. Turner had a bad call too and a TD was negated as a result. Its way too ealy to say if the OL is better or not. Mangold did not play last night. Lets see what happens when Slauson gets a bit more experience and Mangold is back in the middle. Are you a betting man? :D

Archived