Laveranues Cut

slats

RichCimini NEWS: Jets release WR Laveranues Coles, DE Rod Wright, WR Marcus Henry and WR Aundrae Allison. Surprised by Coles. Maybe he returns Wk 2

Not surprised at all. More reps for Clowney and Larry Taylor as they decide on final cuts.

Rod Wright is probably the biggest disappointment.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coles released; Pace reportedly out 4-6 weeks

There won’t officially be a third tour of duty for WR Laveranues Coles, released by the Jets today after only four catches for 19 yards during the preseason. Coles had talked last week about how some of his teammates had been telling him he’s still got it, but evidently the Jets felt differently. The Jets also cut WRs Marcus Henry and Aundrae Allison and DL Rodrique Wright. These moves got the Jets’ roster down to 75.

As for Pace, both ESPN and the Daily News are reporting that he will be out four to six weeks because of a broken right foot, and ESPN says he will have surgery Monday in North Carolina to fix it. Guess that increases the odds of the Jets perhaps signing former Patriot and Raven Adalius Thomas, who still is out there.

Posted by J.P. Pelzman on 08/29 at 11:47 AM

Curious to see if they're making room for anyone with the injuries to Pitoitua and Pace or if they're starting final cutdowns early. Interesting that Taylor has made it further than Allison. Henry probably never even gets as many years in camp and the PS if not for the fact that he was a draft pick. And while Coles may have been on his last legs, I guess they're feeling fine with Smith and whoever else being the #3 options for the first four weeks.

RichCimini NEWS: Jets release WR Laveranues Coles, DE Rod Wright, WR Marcus Henry and WR Aundrae Allison. Surprised by Coles. Maybe he returns Wk 2

Not surprised at all. More reps for Clowney and Larry Taylor as they decide on final cuts.

Rod Wright is probably the biggest disappointment.

bahahahahahahhaha

Curious to see if they're making room for anyone with the injuries to Pitoitua and Pace or if they're starting final cutdowns early. Interesting that Taylor has made it further than Allison. Henry probably never even gets as many years in camp and the PS if not for the fact that he was a draft pick. And while Coles may have been on his last legs, I guess they're feeling fine with Smith and whoever else being the #3 options for the first four weeks.

It's not final cutdown. IIRC they should be cutting to 75 by the 31st. This should get them there. Coles didn't make it that far because they didn't want to guarantee his salary. I think that if they sign him after the first game they could hang on to him and cut him when Holmes comes back without having to pay his salary for the year. Interesting that they cut Allison. Despite all the hate, Clowney is probably still the #3 option until Holmes comes back. Clowney was ahead of Brad Smith last year. Also, if they are done, they still have Brooks Foster the WR they picked up from the Rams last week in addition to Taylor and Clowney. Foster should be practice squad eligible because he spent last year on the IR.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/08/jets_release_wr_laveranues_col.html

AD will be added this week. If not for anything but depth. I hope hes in shape and ready to go.

I don't want him, we don't need him and that link and these cuts have nothing to do with signing anybody else. I love how Taylor is supposed to be done, but we need Adalius Thomas who hasn't had as many sacks as Taylor had last year since 2006. We already have a vet, save the roster spot for some young bucks.

Any one else think A Thomas will be added this week?

I don't think so. Maybe after week one so they don't guarantee his contract for the whole year, but even then I don't see it.

Jets will have their eyes on front seven cuts around the league, though. Especially from other 3-4 teams.

I don't want him, we don't need him and that link and these cuts have nothing to do with signing anybody else. I love how Taylor is supposed to be done, but we need Adalius Thomas who hasn't had as many sacks as Taylor had last year since 2006. We already have a vet, save the roster spot for some young bucks.

Agree we have a few young bucks on the roster Cummings,Westerman and Laury but an added vet isnt a bad move if he can still play.

Agree we have a few young bucks on the roster Cummings,Westerman and Laury but an added vet isnt a bad move if he can still play.

Who are you going to cut for this 2 weeks of insurance? It's not baseball, they can't put Pace on the 15 day disabled list. You have to cut someone and I'd rather not. If he could still play he'd probably be in camp somewhere.

Despite all the hate, Clowney is probably still the #3 option until Holmes comes back. Clowney was ahead of Brad Smith last year.

Any WR not named Holmes is going to be the #5 option behind Keller and Tomlinson, anyway. I think that's a big reason why Coles is gone. If Sanchez was going thru his reads and spreading the field this preseason, I think that next WR in line might be more important. But he's not. It's more beneficial to this offense to carry an extra RB or TE instead. Players that will help with the running game.

This last week is Clowney vs. Taylor for one of those special teams spots. From the looks of Hard Knocks, Westoff is trying to push Taylor to take it.

This last week is Clowney vs. Taylor for one of those special teams spots. From the looks of Hard Knocks, Westoff is trying to push Taylor to take it.

From the looks of what we have seen on the field it should be neither of them. Unfortunately. Clowney is getting down the field fast on coverage but he seems LOST when he gets there.

the "guarunteed salary" line doesn't hold water with me... cause someone's gonna have to get cut for them to resign Coles, and you just guarunteed that guy's salary for the whole year. Is it because Coles is a 10 year vet so his vet minimum is more than a 5 year vet? doesn't seem like a huge savings.

From JP Pelzman's blog:

Rex: Don’t close book on Coles

Just had conference call with coach Rex Ryan, and he said it’s a ‘real possibility’ that WR Laveranues Coles, released today could return after the first game of the regular season. Translation: the Jets wouldn’t have to pay him for the whole season if he’s not on the opening-day roster. But they don’t have any ‘cash-flow’ problems. Uh-huh.

As for LB Calvin Pace, Rex confirmed he will have surgery tomorrow in North Carolina to repair a broken bone in his right foot. He wouldn’t speculate on how long Pace will be out, saying, ‘we feel it could be a speedy recovery. He’s definitely going to miss the first game, that’s pretty safe to say.’

He said he wouldn’t rule out signing Adalius Thomas, although it doesn’t seem imminent, either. ‘Sometimes what really makes sense might not make sense to the organization,’ Ryan said in an interesting comment. Maybe there is some debate between him and GM Mike Tannenbaum about bringingin Thomas, a former Patriot and Raven. ‘I don’t want to bring A.D. up here not to have a roster spot for him.’

But Ryan said that even without Pace and possibly holdout CB Darrelle Revis, too, ‘we’ve got enough depth here [on defense]. We’ve got enough good football players that offenses need to worry about our defense. We’re definitely not worried about it. I got a lot of confidence in the guys we have. I’m not nearly as concerned as maybe other people are.’

Ryan also said that QB Mark Sanchez practiced full today with no limitations, despite landing hard on his shoulder when hit by Washington’s Kedric Golston Friday night. But Rex also said starters won’t play at all Thursday at Philly, except LG Matt Slauson. He also said DE-OLB Vernon Gholston will play in that game.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/greenmachine/

the "guarunteed salary" line doesn't hold water with me... cause someone's gonna have to get cut for them to resign Coles, and you just guarunteed that guy's salary for the whole year. Is it because Coles is a 10 year vet so his vet minimum is more than a 5 year vet? doesn't seem like a huge savings.

Vested vets are guaranteed when on the opening day roster. Non vested are not. They can be cut anytime with no guarantee.

If they wanted to play the guarantee game with Coles they'd keep him until the Saturday of week 1 then cut and resign Tuesday.

If they wanted to play the guarantee game with Coles they'd keep him until the Saturday of week 1 then cut and resign Tuesday.

I thought of that. The only explanation would be if they wanted to give him the chance to catch on somewhere he could stick. Coles has expressly said that he did not want that. I figure they cut him early because they need to decide between guys with special teams value.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coles released; Pace reportedly out 4-6 weeks

There won’t officially be a third tour of duty for WR Laveranues Coles, released by the Jets today after only four catches for 19 yards during the preseason. Coles had talked last week about how some of his teammates had been telling him he’s still got it, but evidently the Jets felt differently. The Jets also cut WRs Marcus Henry and Aundrae Allison and DL Rodrique Wright. These moves got the Jets’ roster down to 75.

As for Pace, both ESPN and the Daily News are reporting that he will be out four to six weeks because of a broken right foot, and ESPN says he will have surgery Monday in North Carolina to fix it. Guess that increases the odds of the Jets perhaps signing former Patriot and Raven Adalius Thomas, who still is out there.

Posted by J.P. Pelzman on 08/29 at 11:47 AM

Didnt I say that this was a waste of time?

It's not final cutdown. IIRC they should be cutting to 75 by the 31st. This should get them there. Coles didn't make it that far because they didn't want to guarantee his salary. I think that if they sign him after the first game they could hang on to him and cut him when Holmes comes back without having to pay his salary for the year. Interesting that they cut Allison. Despite all the hate, Clowney is probably still the #3 option until Holmes comes back. Clowney was ahead of Brad Smith last year. Also, if they are done, they still have Brooks Foster the WR they picked up from the Rams last week in addition to Taylor and Clowney. Foster should be practice squad eligible because he spent last year on the IR.

Good call, forgot all about that.

Guest Jpf4671

Coles never made sense,you need the 4th or 5th wr to play specials, he was a familiar name so everyone,myself included in this criticism, thought it was worth a shot to bring him back,in reAlity a young no name 5th wr who contributes on specials is the way to go.

Not for nothin and maybe I'm high on crack but I love Westerman. I hope he gets some more reps now. I personally think he may/could become the best pass rusher on the team.

I like Westerman, I just figure the more the better given how crummy our pass rush was last season.

What about Shawn Springs and KEVIN MAWAE, any chance we get either of them? Not as much Shawn Springs, but either way, Springs could definitely help attempt to make up for a missing Revis. 1-2 year deal for both.

Yes, we need to inject Kevin Mawae into the Revis situation. Purely from a player standpoint, I'd be more than ok with adding him for C/G depth. But unless they can sign him without his mouth, the Jets - like 31 other teams - have passed.

Archived