Without Jets, Super Bowl Ticket Prices Slump

Maxman

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/27/without-jets-bowl-ticket-prices-slump/

Without Jets, Super Bowl Ticket Prices Slump

January 27, 2011 10:53 AM

Print Share 1 05a3e852-3f94-488d-b831-1214a002554b-big.jpg?w=420 (AP Photo/Kim Johnson Flodin)

NEW YORK (Boston Herald / WFAN) - Fans weren’t the only ones disappointed when the Jets fell to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game on Sunday. Ticket sellers for the big game in Dallas were just as upset.

The Jets’ elimination reduced the average cost of Super Bowl XLV tickets by thousands of dollars.

“If the Jets were in this game, tickets would be running anywhere from $3,500 to $15,000 per seat compared to where they are now at $2,500 to $10,000,” said James Holzman, president and founder of Ace Ticket. “The Jets were the ultimate because they haven’t been in (the Super Bowl) for 40 years, since the days of Joe Namath.”

Michael Janes, chief executive officer of FanSnap.com, said while they are seeing a record number of searches for Super Bowl seats, average prices have dropped since the playoffs.

“Super Bowl prices started at $5,000 because clearly Chicago (Bears) and the Jets fans were bullish,” he said.

But after both the Bears and Jets were eliminated on Sunday, Janes said, suddenly there were lots of those fans who put their tickets on the market. He’s convinced that prices and hype would have been twice as much had the Bears and Jets made it to the Super Bowl.

New York Jets fans aren’t the only ones disappointed by the Jets loss to the Steelers in the Championship game.  Ticket scalpers are also feeling the loss in their wallet.  According to CBS New York.com, ticket prices have dropped significantly since the Jets were eliminated.

“If the Jets were in this game, tickets would be running anywhere from $3,500 to $15,000 per seat compared to where they are now at $2,500 to $10,000,” said James Holzman, president and founder of Ace Ticket. “The Jets were the ultimate because they haven’t been in (the Super Bowl) for 40 years, since the days of Joe Namath.”

Michael Janes, chief executive officer of FanSnap.com, said while they are seeing a record number of searches for Super Bowl seats, average prices have dropped since the playoffs.

“Super Bowl prices started at $5,000 because clearly Chicago (Bears) and the Jets fans were bullish,” he said.

But after both the Bears and Jets were eliminated on Sunday, Janes said, suddenly there were lots of those fans who put their tickets on the market. He’s convinced that prices and hype would have been twice as much had the Bears and Jets made it to the Super Bowl.

Some Jets fans had already purchased tickets knowing that prices would go up if the Jets had advanced.   If you are selling tickets, let us know in our forums.  We would love to hear some first hand accounts on ticket prices.

5g-I635jLpk

View the full article

*Random unrelated story*

So my mom is in the Supermarket and sees the douchey poster/ad of Troy Polamalu modelling his lame Shampoo. She ripped it down LMAO.

She's so loyal to my feelings!

**** YOU sh*tsBurgh!

*Random unrelated story*

So my mom is in the Supermarket and sees the douchey poster/ad of Troy Polamalu modelling his lame Shampoo. She ripped it down LMAO.

She's so loyal to my feelings!

**** YOU sh*tsBurgh!

Are you sure she didn't take it home and hang it in her bedroom -- jk

anyway I am a bit surprised by this -- Their fan bases are huge thru out the country --

Are you sure she didn't take it home and hang it in her bedroom -- jk

anyway I am a bit surprised by this -- Their fan bases are huge thru out the country --

I think it comes down to two things:

1. The dollar is NY is a little stronger than that in Pittsburgh.

2. This is the 45th Super Bowl. And Pittsburgh has been in like 39 of them. :D

I think it comes down to two things:

1. The dollar is NY is a little stronger than that in Pittsburgh.

2. This is the 45th Super Bowl. And Pittsburgh has been in like 39 of them. :D

exactly.. pittsburgh is pretty poor and inbred.. i work with a company a few hours east of them, on the out skirts of appalchia territory. It's amazing how different people are, and by different i mean stupid and self entitled

No shock, really.

New York vs. Chicago would have been the big-money game.

Green Bay is a Zzzzzzfest nationally, and the Steelers (yet again) have a great fanbase, but...yeah, Steeler. Again. Zzzzzzzz.

No big cities. No big (truly big) name stars (The QB;s being it really), few real personalities (Ward? Polo-hairdo? lol, no) and few storylines of any interest.

Sums up as a Snoozefest, in terms of National Interest outside the (admittedly passionate) teams fanbases.

That'll teach the NFL. Maybe next time they'll actually call the Steelers for late hits on Sanchez and rule that Sanchez fumble an incomplete pass. If they wanted the big money game they had it right there, but they were too stupid to send the refs the memo.

That'll teach the NFL. Maybe next time they'll actually call the Steelers for late hits on Sanchez and rule that Sanchez fumble an incomplete pass. If they wanted the big money game they had it right there, but they were too stupid to send the refs the memo.

+1 Ed Hocculi for the loss.... eat it NFL.

still a little surprising to -both of these teams fan travel well to other stadiums.

The article is a myth.

NY Giants fans traveled in droves to SB42 but refused to buy tickets until the last possible day, there by driving prices down because the brokers feared they would be stuck with their inventory. Giants fans had been there before just like Steeler and Packer fans.

Also, Jerry Jones just added more seats and the economy still isnt strong. Many teams throughout the NFL had trouble selling out this season.

The article is a myth.

NY Giants fans traveled in droves to SB42 but refused to buy tickets until the last possible day, there by driving prices down because the brokers feared they would be stuck with their inventory. Giants fans had been there before just like Steeler and Packer fans.

Also, Jerry Jones just added more seats and the economy still isnt strong. Many teams throughout the NFL had trouble selling out this season.

This is the Jets, not the wine and cheese Giants fan. The Jets really HAVEN'T been there before, at least not the fans under 50.

+1 Ed Hocculi for the loss.... eat it NFL.

It's not why the jets lost, but it sure helped the Steelers. Hochuli should dress in black and gold and be done with it. he also shat the bed whenn the Steelers played the Seahawks and invented a holding penalty.

"Early in the fourth quarter, tackle Sean Locklear was called for holding on a pass completion that would have put the Seahawks at the Pittsburgh 1, poised for the go-ahead touchdown. After the penalty, Matt Hasselbeck threw an interception, and then was called for a mysterious low block on a play that ended with him tackling Pittsburgh's Ike Taylor on the defensive back's return.

The penalty moved the Steelers from their 29 to the 44. Pittsburgh used its better field position to score the clinching touchdown four plays later.

The next day, then-Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren stoked Seattle's angry fire when he addressed fans upon the team landing back home. Holmgren told frustrated fans at a civic gathering at Qwest Field, "I knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts, as well." "

Archived