American Dream Meadowlands

Maxman

Anyone see this? The owners of the Mall of America reached a deal to take of the Meadlowands Mall and scrap the Xanadu name. They get 200 million in tax breaks.

Hopefully they scrap the hideous exterior and make something of all that real estate!

xanadu_t.jpg

The hideous looking and stalled retail project in the Meadowlands (Xanadu) may soon be getting a much needed jump start.  There are several reports stating that the owners of the Mall of America (Triple Five Group) are in the final stages of negotiating a deal to take over the space.

Triple Five’s Mall of America is twice the size of the current Xanadu footprint and includes over 500 stores and an aquarium. Triple Five, a Canadian based multinational held by the Ghermezian family, also owns the massive West Edmonton Mall in Canada. Four out of 10 of Mall of America’s visitors are tourists.

From it’s inception, Xanadu’s proximity to the brand new Jets/Giants stadium, the troubled Meadowlands racetrack and the 20,000 seat IZOD Arena were all supposed to reinforce the Meadowlands as a major tourist destination. The hope is that Triple Five can make that happen for the Meadowlands before the 2014 Superbowl comes to town.

The 2014 Super Bowl has to be a driving force behind this acquisition.  That should give them plenty of time to give the exterior a more modern look that doesn’t illicit such a negative reaction.

Tell us what you think about the American Dream @ Meadowlands in our NFL message board.

xanadu.jpg

di</img>di</img>

Y-KRS1rITK4

View the full article

Anyone see this? The owners of the Mall of America reached a deal to take of the Meadlowands Mall and scrap the Xanadu name. They get 200 million in tax breaks.

Hopefully they scrap the hideous exterior and make something of all that real estate!

Amazing the amount of ineptitude that has been displayed between the NMS and and Xanadu. They honestly couldn't have done a worse job with that property if they built a nuclear reactor out of popsicle sticks on it.

Amazing the amount of ineptitude that has been displayed between the NMS and and Xanadu. They honestly couldn't have done a worse job with that property if they built a nuclear reactor out of popsicle sticks on it.

Just the exterior alone. It was like an episode of the Apprentice gone horribly wrong.

Shows how during good times, money just makes money. All these brilliant minds got together, assuming the ride would last forever. I am glad it is being taken over. People are going to scream about the tax breaks but if this is done right I would think that this could be a huge job creation initiative for NJ. They aren't making much on it empty from taxes. So if they subsidize it a bit and just bring in more through sales tax, that seems like a good plan to me.

Just the exterior alone. It was like an episode of the Apprentice gone horribly wrong.

Shows how during good times, money just makes money. All these brilliant minds got together, assuming the ride would last forever. I am glad it is being taken over. People are going to scream about the tax breaks but if this is done right I would think that this could be a huge job creation initiative for NJ. They aren't making much on it empty from taxes. So if they subsidize it a bit and just bring in more through sales tax, that seems like a good plan to me.

Glad to see Tea Partier Chris Christie clamping down on those darned corporate tax breaks whatcough?

That's definitely very good news. I lived in Minnesota when they opened up the Mall of America. Just consider that I only lived there for four years, and when I moved there construction hadn't even begun on the mall yet (the North Stars were still playing in what would become the Mall of America parking lot). By the time I left the mall had been open for about a year. They did an awesome job with that place in relatively no time.

Exactly. At this point that hideous piece of sh*t is nothing but a drain on NJ. By giving incentive for the MOA people to come in and take over, once that place gets opened they'll more than make that money back.

Brilliant idea make a ski center in the middle of a swamp.

They need to get this development jump started on fast track so I do not mind the tax incentives to Mall of America.

Very curious what they are going to do with that part of the project. Not much retail can do on a hill....

Archived