Tackling Bart's Nightmare-AFC Title Game

flgreen

Tackling Bart's nightmare AFC title game

June, 10, 2011

Jun 10

10:37

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Bart Scott played perhaps his worst game as a Jet against the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game, missing four tackles (unofficially) -- including a big miss in the backfield on Rashad Mendenhall's one-yard TD run.

Statistically, the performance was an aberration for Scott, according to FootballOutsiders.com. The veteran linebacker was one of the best tacklers in the league in 2010, based on a study released this week by the website.

This is, of course, highly subjective, but Scott had only two broken tackles in the regular season, according to FootballOutsiders. He made 62 tackles, giving him a "miss rate" of 3.1 percent -- eighth-best in the league among all players with at least 50 tackles. And best on the team.

Scott probably can't wait to atone for his miserable performance. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Shocker, Cimini being a douche. Anyway, after reading this I went and checked out the FO article, which I thought had some interesting things.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/broken-tackles-2010

In addition to Scott having the 8th best tackle rate amongst linebackers, while there wasn't a full breakdown for DL, I thought this was pretty cool:

Defensive linemen don't make anywhere near as many plays as linebackers and defensive backs, so there aren't a lot of linemen with more than two or three broken tackles. Only two defensive linemen had six broken tackles: Chris Long of St. Louis and Lamarr Houston of Oakland. Justin Smith of San Francisco had zero broken tackles with 62 tackles, and four other linemen had zero broken tackles with more than 40 tackles: Jared Allen, Antonio Garay, Sione Pouha, and Vince Wilfork.

40+ tackles and none broken for a 320+ lb NT? Not too shabby.

Also saw our old buddy Abram Elam came in with the 9th best tackle rate amongst DBs. If the Browns ditch him, I'd definitely be all for bringing him back for depth.

What exactly does he mean by 4 missed tackles, unofficially? So these missed tackles didn't count and are only being brought up cuz the author's looking to sh*t on the Jets. What else is new?

What exactly does he mean by 4 missed tackles, unofficially? So these missed tackles didn't count and are only being brought up cuz the author's looking to sh*t on the Jets. What else is new?

I think he is covering himself because missed tackles isn't an official stat. I could be wrong though.... (see what I did there? I covered myself in case I was wrong, lol).

im as big a Jets fan as the next guy but cmon. Bart Scott got owned in Pittsburgh. it wasn't good.

im as big a Jets fan as the next guy but cmon. Bart Scott got owned in Pittsburgh. it wasn't good.

When Bart Scott's play catches up with his mouth he is going to be one hell of a linebacker.

Truth hurts sometimes. Pitt ran up a big a$$ lead in the first half and Scott didn't do much to stop in it.

Keep in mind when an LB has a lot of tackles it means that teams run at him or throw at his spot often. Greg Biekert of the Raiders led or was among the leaders in the NFL in the tackles stat for several years in the ealry 2000s. It's great that when the ball gets near a defender tackles the ball carrier, but you have to acknowledge and understand it doesn't mean the LB is necessarily a great player. Would wager many of you have never heard of Greg Biekert,and that the groundswell to enshrine Greg in Canton is not happening any time soon.

When Bart Scott's play catches up with his mouth he is going to be one hell of a linebacker.

Truth hurts sometimes. Pitt ran up a big a$$ lead in the first half and Scott didn't do much to stop in it.

Keep in mind when an LB has a lot of tackles it means that teams run at him or throw at his spot often. Greg Biekert of the Raiders led or was among the leaders in the NFL in the tackles stat for several years in the ealry 2000s. It's great that when the ball gets near a defender tackles the ball carrier, but you have to acknowledge and understand it doesn't mean the LB is necessarily a great player. Would wager many of you have never heard of Greg Biekert,and that the groundswell to enshrine Greg in Canton is not happening any time soon.

Kyle Clifton FTW

Also saw our old buddy Abram Elam came in with the 9th best tackle rate amongst DBs. If the Browns ditch him, I'd definitely be all for bringing him back for depth.

Abram Elam can come back if they lose Eric Smith or 'Dig, but it is more important that they sign or replace Pool. We need a safety that can cover. I'm surprised they didn't draft somebody late for that, but hey Sanchez has his buddy.

That wasn't my question. I was wondering why the stat was listed as unofficial. Our defense as a whole was pretty bad that first half. So was our offense. Nobody's denying that. They played very well in the 2nd though, minus a few plays. That's how you know the difference between a good coach and a bad coach. The bad coach won't make the proper halftime adjustments, while the good coach will and that's exactly what happened. Whatever Rex planned, or said at halftime worked. He ALMOST got us to come back from a 24-0 deficit. We dominated them in the 2nd half for the most part.

What I find interesting is that when you watch games, it looks like Bart plays the Will a lot more than the Mike. He seems to get all the dirty work, taking on blockers while freeing up Harris to do his job of chasing down RB's or blitzing. But on paper they have almost equal stats.

I think most of what Bart does, doesnt register on the stat cards. Which is impressive since his stats arent bad.

Archived