Mini Camp Tweets - 6/14

Maxman

1) I do not recall saying anything about the Patriots in my prior post.

Unless you're suggesting that the Dolphins are any good, saying the Jets have a one-year window implicitly assumes that you resign Brady. That's kind of stupid considering your point re: the Jets is that we can't just resign everybody we want just because we want.

Not about the Jets, but interesting.

....he's another one not "honoring" his contract and wanting more money. This is what happens when you have 1) great success and 2) make a pro-bowl. Deion Branch says "hello." You all think this stuff is cut and dry - it's not. You all think the team has all the leverage - not all.

Unless you're suggesting that the Dolphins are any good, saying the Jets have a one-year window implicitly assumes that you resign Brady. That's kind of stupid considering your point re: the Jets is that we can't just resign everybody we want just because we want.

yah, because a franchise QB will never sell tickets and merchandise the way a shut down corner can.

The Patriots can't sign everyone - they never do. But they will re-sign Brady....as if Kraft would ever take THAT PR hit and get rid of THAT cash cow.

You do realize that the only bullet in Revis' gun is a TC holdout and that bullet is a blank as he would leave $20 million on the table by doing so.

That's the elephant in the middle of the room. We made out too well on Revis's rookie deal. This is where the blame the agent routine actually applies, if anybody wants to take it out for another spin, because it was clearly within the Jets' contemplation that Revis would outperform the buyback, hence the provision voiding the guarantees leaving him with no outs. This is not to say that you don't want team-friendly contracts, just not to the point where tanking becomes the guy's only +ev move.

That's the elephant in the middle of the room. We made out too well on Revis's rookie deal. This is where the blame the agent routine actually applies, if anybody wants to take it out for another spin, because it was clearly within the Jets' contemplation that Revis would outperform the buyback, hence the provision voiding the guarantees leaving him with no outs. This is not to say that you don't want team-friendly contracts, just not to the point where tanking becomes the guy's only +ev move.

Tanking is not a realistic move for a guy like Revis, firing his agent is. ;)

Remember when he first signed and everybody thought it was a horrible deal for the Jets? :rl:

considering he's worth at least 3x that in guarantees, and considering he's already held out as a rookie, I think everyone is underestimating Revis' leverage.

You got that right.

Revis can shoot his way out of town because no NFL team wants a disgruntled player of his caliber causing a distraction all season long. The NY media would have a turkey shoot.

Some team is out there willing to pay Revis and fork over picks to the Jets.

You got that right.

Revis can shoot his way out of town because no NFL team wants a disgruntled player of his caliber causing a distraction all season long. The NY media would have a turkey shoot.

Some team is out there willing to pay Revis and fork over picks to the Jets.

You do realize you are talking about a deal that would net the Jets so many picks it would make it look like the Cowboys got screwed on the Herschel Walker deal, right?

....he's another one not "honoring" his contract and wanting more money. This is what happens when you have 1) great success and 2) make a pro-bowl. Deion Branch says "hello." You all think this stuff is cut and dry - it's not. You all think the team has all the leverage - not all.

Mankins doesn't have a contract. He's a RFA who is refusing to sign the tender.

2) You are truly naive if you think the 24 players listed "will basically be the core of your team for the forseeable future." That's pretty funny.

Why the hell not? Not all those guys are superstars, a good portion of them are key role players that will be here for cheap.

The only guys I see on that list that might be gone in the short-term are Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Kris Jenkins (health/age) and Calvin Pace (at the end of his deal). Among the 4 guys who asked for new contracts, I'd say David Harris is the only one that may be "expendable". And even then, Tannenbaum says we'll be signing all 4 when all is said and done.

That leaves 19 players. I'll even provide justification on each one if you'd like, Garb:

Sanchez: Franchise QB, enough said.

Revis: Best defensive player in the NFL, Jets can buyback his remaining 2 years. He'll be here awhile.

Holmes: Him and Braylon are fighting for a new deal after 2010. Holmes wins.

Greene: His playoff performance was his coming out party; he'll be here at least through the end of his rookie deal.

Mangold: One of the "core 4", is priority # 2 on the list and is the best at a position that doesn't have a "break the bank" market value. He'll get re-signed.

Ferguson: Hasn't complained once, is simply waiting in line for a new deal. The franchise LT will also get re-signed to protect our investment at QB.

Wilson: 1st round pick, will be here thru his rookie deal.

Cotchery: Quietly one of the best possession receivers in the league, and has several years left on his deal. Will play them out.

Keller: Still under rookie contract.

Scott: The original "Rex guy" and biggest lockerroom personality. He'll at least play out his current deal.

Ducasse: Rookie deal.

Moore: Above average guard, not too expensive. He'll be here at least 2-3 more years.

Leonhard: Probably the biggest key to our defense from a scheme perspective. Rex won't let this guy go for a LONG time.

Pool: Only signed to a 1-year deal, but I have a feeling he'll be productive at the FS position. Health is the only reason he won't be kept on beyond 2010.

McKnight: Leon Washington clone only 5 years younger. Rookie deal.

Brad Smith: Has value on special teams and in trickery. Not a irreplacable player but a nice "Swiss Army Knife" to have around.

Westerman: Another solid special teamer and possibly a starter at OLB once Thomas/Pace are gone.

Conner: Rex LOVES this guy at FB and brought him in as the longterm replacement for Richardson.

DeVito: Very good young hard-working backup that fits in nicely in the DE rotation. Expendable but cheap enough to stay employed by the Jets for a few years.

Any disputes to the above, Garb, or are you going to continue to argue that the Jets can only be considered a "win now" team?

You do realize you are talking about a deal that would net the Jets so many picks it would make it look like the Cowboys got screwed on the Herschel Walker deal, right?

A player worth so many picks, but not worth more money. :rolleyes: OK :confused0058:

The Jets would be in no position to play hardball when they want Revis gone because he is a distraction.

A player worth so many picks, but not worth more money. :rolleyes: OK :confused0058:

The Jets would be in no position to play hardball when they want Revis gone because he is a distraction.

Its pointless to even continue this seeing as it ain't gonna happen since Revis will be signed by the start of training camp with Mangold signing within days.

You're right. My bad.

Something about not signing the tnder and the team has the right to reduce it by half? Something like that. Anyway you slice it, this means Mankins will be traded. My hope is to get a second for him.

Why the hell not? Not all those guys are superstars, a good portion of them are key role players that will be here for cheap.

The only guys I see on that list that might be gone in the short-term are Braylon Edwards, Antonio Cromartie, Kris Jenkins (health/age) and Calvin Pace (at the end of his deal). Among the 4 guys who asked for new contracts, I'd say David Harris is the only one that may be "expendable". And even then, Tannenbaum says we'll be signing all 4 when all is said and done.

That leaves 19 players. I'll even provide justification on each one if you'd like, Garb:

Sanchez: Franchise QB, enough said.

Revis: Best defensive player in the NFL, Jets can buyback his remaining 2 years. He'll be here awhile.

Holmes: Him and Braylon are fighting for a new deal after 2010. Holmes wins.

Greene: His playoff performance was his coming out party; he'll be here at least through the end of his rookie deal.

Mangold: One of the "core 4", is priority # 2 on the list and is the best at a position that doesn't have a "break the bank" market value. He'll get re-signed.

Ferguson: Hasn't complained once, is simply waiting in line for a new deal. The franchise LT will also get re-signed to protect our investment at QB.

Wilson: 1st round pick, will be here thru his rookie deal.

Cotchery: Quietly one of the best possession receivers in the league, and has several years left on his deal. Will play them out.

Keller: Still under rookie contract.

Scott: The original "Rex guy" and biggest lockerroom personality. He'll at least play out his current deal.

Ducasse: Rookie deal.

Moore: Above average guard, not too expensive. He'll be here at least 2-3 more years.

Leonhard: Probably the biggest key to our defense from a scheme perspective. Rex won't let this guy go for a LONG time.

Pool: Only signed to a 1-year deal, but I have a feeling he'll be productive at the FS position. Health is the only reason he won't be kept on beyond 2010.

McKnight: Leon Washington clone only 5 years younger. Rookie deal.

Brad Smith: Has value on special teams and in trickery. Not a irreplacable player but a nice "Swiss Army Knife" to have around.

Westerman: Another solid special teamer and possibly a starter at OLB once Thomas/Pace are gone.

Conner: Rex LOVES this guy at FB and brought him in as the longterm replacement for Richardson.

DeVito: Very good young hard-working backup that fits in nicely in the DE rotation. Expendable but cheap enough to stay employed by the Jets for a few years.

Any disputes to the above, Garb, or are you going to continue to argue that the Jets can only be considered a "win now" team?

I think you are even more naive now if you think all those players will be on the team next year....and I just love your predictions on how good a player will be when they haven't played a down of regular season nfl football. And really, DeVito the great, eh?

How many players do you have signed to one year deals? So, say for example, Holmes has a great year....he'll want to get paid. Who do you lose? Say Cromartie wants more money. So, you will pay Scott, but not Harris (who is much better)? How does that make sense? Mangold wants to get paid, Brick is solid, but overpaid...who do you think will be on the team next year? Keller is still under his rookie contract - yup - and you better hope he does not have a break-out year. Rookie contracts means squat if you want to get paid. Seriously, I think you are being WAY naive here.

I think you are even more naive now if you think all those players will be on the team next year....and I just love your predictions on how good a player will be when they haven't played a down of regular season nfl football. And really, DeVito the great, eh? .

Way to completely ignore the kid's post on Devito. See above. Did you even read it? As for the guys on their rookie deals, McKnight is the only one he made any claims about. They don't all have to be great to be part of the young core of the team. How many truly great players did the Pats have on their super bowl teams? One?

How many players do you have signed to one year deals? So, say for example, Holmes has a great year....he'll want to get paid. Who do you lose? Say Cromartie wants more money. So, you will pay Scott, but not Harris (who is much better)? How does that make sense? Mangold wants to get paid, Brick is solid, but overpaid...who do you think will be on the team next year? Keller is still under his rookie contract - yup - and you better hope he does not have a break-out year. Rookie contracts means squat if you want to get paid. Seriously, I think you are being WAY naive here.

It's a positive that all those guys are signed to one year deals and the Jets and the Jets will have the luxury of negotiating with them when (hopefully) a new CBA and cap are in place. In case you haven't noticed, Tannebaum is pretty good with contracts. He's "The Accountant", remember?

Its pointless to even continue this seeing as it ain't gonna happen since Revis will be signed by the start of training camp with Mangold signing within days.

what makes you so sure? Woody hasn't made a move since early 2009 that actually cost the team money?

I have no faith that any of the core deals get done before the season.

Way to completely ignore the kid's post on Devito. See above. Did you even read it? As for the guys on their rookie deals, McKnight is the only one he made any claims about. They don't all have to be great to be part of the young core of the team. How many truly great players did the Pats have on their super bowl teams? One?

It's a positive that all those guys are signed to one year deals and the Jets and the Jets will have the luxury of negotiating with them when (hopefully) a new CBA and cap are in place. In case you haven't noticed, Tannebaum is pretty good with contracts. He's "The Accountant", remember?

Honestly, I skimed through his post because I find his outlook, while positive and rosey, unrealistic.

No, you do not have to be great...but your depth has to be better than the opposing team's if you aren't "great."

What I find comical is that jets fans think you can pay everyone what they want....really? You can't and you won't. I can almost guarantee that Brick willnot be on the team next year.

what makes you so sure? Woody hasn't made a move since early 2009 that actually cost the team money?

I have no faith that any of the core deals get done before the season.

You do realize that there were rules in place preventing the Jets from signing FAs this offseason, correct?

Your theory isn't exactly fair and in no way jibes with reality. The Jets still went out and did whatever they were allowed to do to improve the team.

Honestly, I skimed through his post because I find his outlook, while positive and rosey, unrealistic.

No, you do not have to be great...but your depth has to be better than the opposing team's if you aren't "great."

What I find comical is that jets fans think you can pay everyone what they want....really? You can't and you won't. I can almost guarantee that Brick willnot be on the team next year.

He gave you the "depth" and you complained they weren't great. We know they aren't going to sign everybody. They probably won't keep Cromartie and they'll probably keep Edwards OR Holmes. Ferguson is under contract, so if he goes somewhere it's our choice. As it was with Faneca. The Jets should hope Keller doesn't break out? Why? He's under contract until after the 2012 season.

The team has talent. They will have some tough choices, as the Pats did, with Bradshaw and Samuels. Those choices will be theirs to make. I'm perfectly happy with that. It's much better than deciding between Matt Chatham and Anthony Schlegel.

And again, having too many quality players to pay is a bad thing? There's a reason Jets fans are optimistic, Garb.

I don't think anything I said was unreasonable. If you're not going to take the time to read then there's no reason for further discussion on the topic.

Worry about your Patriots, who showed in the postseason last year the first sign that they don't have enough talent to compete. Not only did Tom Brady lose his first home playoff game, he and the Pats got blown out.

Santonio and Revis in heated battles at today's camps Holmes getting pissed and slams ball down calling PI-this is going to make both better players-Holmes is going to be great when we get him back inj October

And again, having too many quality players to pay is a bad thing? There's a reason Jets fans are optimistic, Garb.

I don't think anything I said was unreasonable. If you're not going to take the time to read then there's no reason for further discussion on the topic.

Worry about your Patriots, who showed in the postseason last year the first sign that they don't have enough talent to compete. Not only did Tom Brady lose his first home game, he and his team lost it in horrible fashion.

One day all you peasants without the benefit of Garb's high ivory horse tower will understand things.

On a more serious note, I don't think that the Pats don't have enough talent. Brady, Moss and Welker is still formidable and eventually they'll hit on at least one of their 95 draft picks. I think BB has realized its time to ditch the pure spread too. It's the defense that is suspect.

You're right. My bad.

Something about not signing the tnder and the team has the right to reduce it by half? Something like that. Anyway you slice it, this means Mankins will be traded. My hope is to get a second for him.

Just a suggestion...

Maybe you should step down off of your imaginary high horse, spend a little less time on an opposing team's message boards, and learn about your own ****ing team's players before spewing nonsense about the Jets' players.

Archived