Sanchez Off the Mark in AM Practice

flgreen

AM Practice report: Sanchez off the mark

August, 10, 2010 Aug 1011:46AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiThoughts and observations from Tuesday morning's practice in Cortland:

1. QB Mark Sanchez didn't receive the usual amount of reps --some of the practice was devoted to the Wildcat with Brad Smith at QB -- but he struggled with his accuracy. Sanchez was throwing off his back foot, and easily could've been intercepted two or three times. He completed 4 of 11 passes, with one INT. Actually, that was a good throw, a well-placed deep sideline pass to WR Braylon Edwards -- in the perfect spot against a Cover-2 defense. But Edwards juggled the ball and it was picked off by S Jim Leonhard, who was covering over the top.

Earlier, Leonhard dropped a ball that should've been an easy pick. On his next pass, Sanchez put up a dangerous throw to WR Jerricho Cotchery, who muscled it away from CB Dwight Lowery, who smelled interception. Sanchez isn't having a poor camp, but he hasn't been as sharp as he could be.

2. It was a rare sight, Cotchery dropping a pass. He has the best hands on the team, and his drops are few and far between. On this play, he beat rookie Kyle Wilson on a deep route -- beat him badly -- but failed to haul in a pass from Sanchez.

3. It was a big Brad Smith day. In other words, there was a lot of work on the Wildcat. That helps the defense, too, because it gives it a good look at the Wildcat. The Jets face the Miami Dolphins in Week 3, so you know they'll see the 'Cat.

4. The coaches continue to tweak the Revis-less secondary. At one point, in a nickel package, they had Marquice Cole at right corner, with Wilson in the slot. With Mark Brunell at quarterback, Cole made a nice interception on a deep ball to WR Laveranues Coles -- a case of Cole on Coles. Lowery continues to see time as safety, especially in sub packages.

5. Here's a player who's starting to flash -- WR Aundrae Allison. The former Minnesota Viking, coming back from major knee surgery, is one of the fastest players on the team. Rex Ryan calls him ''88 out the gate." Allison usually flashes on kickoffs, but he's starting to show up at receiver. He made a nice catch in the red zone, a comeback route against tight coverage.

We havent even had a preseason game yet and already with this stuff.

I feel like we are really getting to know each other over the past month.

I like you.

Consider the source ;)

Considered.

But in all honestly, every report I've read, the model hasnt even completed 50% of his passes in a single practice.

I feel like we are really getting to know each other over the past month.

I like you.

Considered.

But in all honestly, every report I've read, the model hasnt even completed 50% of his passes in a single practice.

If Sanchez goes 7-10 against the Giants with a touch...will you lay off the kid?

has sanchez broken the 50% barrier once this camp ?I'm not expecting 20/22 against this defense, but c'mon get your sh*t together already kid

I think he was 9-12 in the Green and White scrimmage.

Other then that he has been below 50% every practice. Still very early in camp, but I must admit I’m a bit concerned

In all honesty, Sanchez hasn't really been lighting it up in camp thus far...let's call it like it is. Does it mean anything? No, the games haven't started yet, but there's nothing wrong it pointing it out. Because god knows, if he was looking like the next Joe Namath, we'd certainly be hearing it from that crowd.

Other then that he has been below 50% every practice. Still very early in camp, but I must admit I’m a bit concerned

Essentially. Teams are going to continue planning to stop our run if Sanchez can't become more accurate. Sure we have big play receivers but why plan for them if 50% of the time the QB is going to miss them anyways? Until Sanchez can win games on his arm on a consistent basis we're surprisingly average.

In all honesty, Sanchez hasn't really been lighting it up in camp thus far...let's call it like it is. Does it mean anything? No, the games haven't started yet, but there's nothing wrong it pointing it out. Because god knows, if he was looking like the next Joe Namath, we'd certainly be hearing it from that crowd.

I have a feeling that if Sanchez was lighting it up, the panic about the defense would go up (including from Rich "Heads I win, tales you lose" Cimini). And the "Pay Revis" crowd would be even more vocal than they already are.

I have a feeling that if Sanchez was lighting it up, the panic about the defense would go up (including from Rich "Heads I win, tales you lose" Cimini). And the "Pay Revis" crowd would be even more vocal than they already are.

Yeah...this too. Cimini's writing style is pretty antagonistic. Instead of praising the D, he'll criticize the O and vice-versa.

Something like "2nd year QB Mark Sanchez, who was an opposing defenses best friend last season, has been lighting up the struggling Jets secondary who are without All Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis and the always solid in coverage Kerry Rhodes, who they traded away for only a 5th round pick"

per new york daily news

Mark Sanchez, who unofficially went 3 of 7 for 114 yards and a touchdown in three series

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/08/2010-08-08_jets_ladainian_tomlinson_santonio_holmes_excel_in_annual_green_and_white_scrimma.html#ixzz0wEy43LxK

I would think that when you feeling out new receivers and maybe some other new skills that you have been working on you need to throw those risky throws and it gives you a feeling of your boundries and what you can actually pull off in a game as well as see how your receivers handle those type of passes.

There is plenty of time to play it safe with the throws later (at least when the preseason starts) but I don't think practice is that time.

To be fair, Sanchez is going up against the NFL's # 1 defense. Even without Revis, I think most QB's would be completing at or around 50 % of their throws in practice.

The reports do say the throws themselves have been inaccurate, not just good defense, so that part of it is of importance. But as has been mentioned already, it seems that he's making more risky throws than he likely will be making next season.

Archived