Expert Sides With Henne Over Sanchez

crashingjet

Don't shoot the messenger, but I agree with the experts.

Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson provides some of my favorite observations about the game. His evaluations are not only educated, but he delivers them in an insightful way.

That's why I wanted to share thoughts he expressed on Chad Henne versus Mark Sanchez in Wednesday's edition of Training Camp Chatter Live, the seemingly eternal chat on ESPN.com.

Williamson's breakdown was triggered by a question of whose future he liked better, an answer that should be no surprise to frequent visitors to the AFC East blog. Williamson and I have debated this a few times.

"Henne. By far. Not even close," Williamson replied. "Would rather have him for this season and certainly for the long term. Way better skills. Way better arm. Love his toughness. Henne is about to be a star. Haven't seen anything from Sanchez yet to indicate the same thing.

"Sanchez is the reason that I won't pick NYJ as a playoff team this year."

Chat moderator Steve Fox, sensing a strong riff ahead, prodded Williamson about why Sanchez doesn't measure up to Henne.

"Doesn't have close to the physical tools," Williamson said. "Henne can drop back, stand strong in the pocket, stare down a heavy rush as he goes through his progressions and make any throw asked of him.

"Sanchez's arm will never allow him to do that, especially in the weather late in the season for the Jets in that area of the country. Sanchez may develop into an efficient and accurate guy who can keep an offense moving with quick throws and designed QB movement, but he will never be that true thrower.

"Henne will threaten the defense at every level and will be much more difficult to prepare for. Shows the toughness to deliver the ball and the guts to try the tough throw. He can be my QB any time. And he is just a puppy -- as is Sanchez, granted."

Williamson added if the Indianapolis Colts had stuck with their starters in the penultimate regular-season game, then the Jets likely wouldn't have gone to the postseason, and we'd be viewing Sanchez much differently.

Valid point there, but that doesn't mean Sanchez's postseason experience didn't happen. He did go 2-1 on the road, regardless of how much Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer limited Sanchez's involvement.

"Not even saying it was a fluke," Williamson said in response to a chatter's comment. "But they got a break or two for sure. Plus -- and I did pick NYJ in both of their playoff wins -- but I thought Cincy and San Diego were ideal teams for them to play. Indy isn't. The Jets can't score with teams like Indy. They know it and went out and got a guy like Santonio Holmes. But still, QB is a problem until I see otherwise."

http://espn.go.com/b...ne-over-sanchez

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's why this guy works for Scouts, Inc., rather than being paid millions of dollars by an NFL team. If he was a surefire talent evaluator NFL teams would be lining up bidding against each other for his services. They're not...because he isn't.

Nobody is actually. The Jets scouting department though is one of the best in the league. In just the past 3 years they've added Pro Bowlers like Mangold and Revis, among many others, through the draft. Miami wishes it had that track record. The only miss the Jets really had is Gholston, who was a Mangini idea.

And none of those opinions mean anything at the end of the day. Playoff success (by both the quarterback and the team) is what counts. At the end of 2002, many "experts" legitimately thought Chad Pennington was going to be a better quarterback than Tom Brady. How'd that turn out?

Don't shoot the messenger, but I agree with the experts.

http://espn.go.com/b...ne-over-sanchez

Who is Matt Williamson??????

Sanchez was the quarterback of a team that came within 30 minutes of the superbowl and Henne was the quarterback of a team that imploded down the stretch when destiny was in their own hands.... LOL... Just LOL

Beautiful - you can have/keep the Michigan bone smoker. He can be 5 times better than Sanchez and it won't matter as we run the ball down your throats and connect on a few select pass plays. Then when you have the ball ... Henne won't perform real well on his back. I'm real happy with who we have - you keep the Chad & Chad show - it's a loser.

Beautiful - you can have/keep the Michigan bone smoker. He can be 5 times better than Sanchez and it won't matter as we run the ball down your throats and connect on a few select pass plays. Then when you have the ball ... Henne won't perform real well on his back. I'm real happy with who we have - you keep the Chad & Chad show - it's a loser.

With what backs lol? Seriously.

Henne may just end up being the better QB, but he is underrating the model big time.

And the fact of the matter is....if it wasnt even close...then why was Sanchez drafted 6th overall and Henne was a 2nd rounder?

Right now, I'll take the guy who won 4 straight must win games including 2 playoff road wins as a rookie over a guy who choked down the stretch on a 7-9 team who only beat 5 other teams in the NFL besides the Jets in his 2nd year.

Dumb article...but he may not be wrong in the long run. Only time will tell. Either way, they are both good young players with a lot of potential.

There are a number of issues I have with his assessment of Sanchez. First, his arm strength. Everyone from Trent Dilfer to Phil Simms commented on his strong arm and his ability to make every throw including outdoors in the northeast. Not to mention, our own defensive guru of a head coach, Rex Ryan, was blown away by his workout and told Tanny "this is our guy". Not to mention actually watching him fire the ball, tight spiral and all, all over the field. Secondly, it seems as if the author stopped watching Sanchez once the regular season ended because he was our best offensive player(along with Greene) against the Bengals, held his own against the Chargers, and was our best player against the Colts in the playoffs. Oh, and the wind chill in Cincy was -3. Sanchez stayed in the pocket and fired td passes just before getting hit against the Colts, and showed excellent awareness.

The big issue with the article is that Henne had 4 years as a starter at Michigan, the 2008 training camp and preseason, mentoring from Pennington, the 2009 off season program, the 2009 training camp and preseason, yet still crumbled in crunch time when the Dolphins were in the playoff hunt. That same team he couldn't guide down the stretch, Pennington won 11 games and a division title with. Sanchez, started one year at USC, had the 2009 camp and preseason, and mentoring from Clemens, and played with an injury to his knee from his USC days. Yet, Sanchez, was able to elevate his game when the lights shown the brightest. Sanchez, with limited experience, has shown flashes of brilliance when it counts......... the playoffs. With his gym rat mentality and dedication, I believe he's only scratched the surface. 2 playoff wins to none. Let's revisit this comparison when Henne actually makes a playoff appearance.

There are a number of issues I have with his assessment of Sanchez. First, his arm strength. Everyone from Trent Dilfer to Phil Simms commented on his strong arm and his ability to make every throw including outdoors in the northeast. Not to mention, our own defensive guru of a head coach, Rex Ryan, was blown away by his workout and told Tanny "this is our guy". Not to mention actually watching him fire the ball, tight spiral and all, all over the field. Secondly, it seems as if the author stopped watching Sanchez once the regular season ended because he was our best offensive player(along with Greene) against the Bengals, held his own against the Chargers, and was our best player against the Colts in the playoffs. Oh, and the wind chill in Cincy was -3. Sanchez stayed in the pocket and fired td passes just before getting hit against the Colts, and showed excellent awareness.

The big issue with the article is that Henne had 4 years as a starter at Michigan, the 2008 training camp and preseason, mentoring from Pennington, the 2009 off season program, the 2009 training camp and preseason, yet still crumbled in crunch time when the Dolphins were in the playoff hunt. That same team he couldn't guide down the stretch, Pennington won 11 games and a division title with. Sanchez, started one year at USC, had the 2009 camp and preseason, and mentoring from Clemens, and played with an injury to his knee from his USC days. Yet, Sanchez, was able to elevate his game when the lights shown the brightest. Sanchez, with limited experience, has shown flashes of brilliance when it counts......... the playoffs. With his gym rat mentality and dedication, I believe he's only scratched the surface. 2 playoff wins to none. Let's revisit this comparison when Henne actually makes a playoff appearance.

Please tell me you're being facetious....

For the most part I try and stay out of these conversations because they are pretty pointless. Neither QB really shinned in their last three games. Out of the two though Henne was asked to do more and played better during that stretch. Yes I know who won and lost their games but in both cases it had very little to do with their individual performances.

Henne:

Week 15: 29 of 46 for 346 Yds, 63.0% 1 TD 3 INT Rating 66.3

Week 16: 35 of 55 for 322 Yds, 63.6% 1 TD 1 INT Rating 78.0

Week 17: 24 of 36 for 322 Yds, 80.0% 1 TD 1 INT Rating 91.7

Sanchez:

Week 15: 18 of 32 for 226 Yds, 56.3% 1 TD 3 INT Rating 49.7

Week 16: 12 of 19 for 106 Yds, 63.2% 0 TD 0 INT Rating 78.0

Week 17: 8 of 16 for 63 Yds, 50.0% 0 TD 0 INT Rating 60.2

This isn't any way meant to say who I think is going to be the better QB this year or in the future. For that we are going to need to sit back and let this play itself out for a few years at the least. For now though it is fun to talk about and discuss.

Honestly, I agree with the experts, also. Henne >>> Sanchez.

In the AFCE it goes like this at QB: Brady>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Henne>Sanchez>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any QB for the Bills.

In the AFCE it goes like this at QB: Brady>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Henne>Sanchez>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any QB for the Bills.

LOL yeah pretty much. Right now there's a huge disparity between Brady and the Bills, and then towards the Bills end of the spectrum Henne is slightly beating out Sanchez. We'll see what happens, Sanchez needs a couple more years before we can make a true comparison.

Archived