I was impressed last night with

DMaynard

Gholston (My Lord, he looked like a football player)

Kenwin Cummings (covered ground and laid some hits)

Jamaal Westerman (prediction - he will be starting opposite Pace in 2011 - you heard it here first)

Marquice Cole (this guy should absolutely be kept over Drew Coleman if it comes down to those two for one spot)Brodney Pool (I like this guy's range)

Nick Folk (we finally have a kicker who can kick off into the end zone consistently - and so far, so good with the FG accuracy)

Joe McKnight (ran a little harder and the punt return was pretty)

Chauncey Washington (great punt coverage hit and ran hard - fumble was bad)

And of course, Leonhard was great, but you expect that from him.

One more thing. Can either Brunell or Clemens hit the broad side of a barn?

The second team dee definitely responded to the criticism from the jint game. Very good to see. They shut down Carolina's 1's for a good stretch. Gholston and Lowery both made plays.

The special teams -especially the coverage teams- were nothing short of great. Nick Folk, baby!

Joe McKnight clearly seemed to pick it up, too. He seemed to be doing what Rex asked of him; keep banging it inside and see what pops out the other side. The punt return was a nice demonstration of some innate talent. That was a nice job of running. Jets offense didn't do much at all last night, but McKnight looked to be ahead of Washington to me.

The second team dee definitely responded to the criticism from the jint game. Very good to see. They shut down Carolina's 1's for a good stretch. Gholston and Lowery both made plays.

The special teams -especially the coverage teams- were nothing short of great. Nick Folk, baby!

Joe McKnight clearly seemed to pick it up, too. He seemed to be doing what Rex asked of him; keep banging it inside and see what pops out the other side. The punt return was a nice demonstration of some innate talent. That was a nice job of running. Jets offense didn't do much at all last night, but McKnight looked to be ahead of Washington to me.

You really thought McKnight looked good? I thought he looked tentative, slow and plodding. I'd rather have that other kid from USC, Washington. At least he gets small, runs with some power and falls forward on contact. McKnight is on stilts through the hole, not to mention, slow.

You really thought McKnight looked good? I thought he looked tentative, slow and plodding. I'd rather have that other kid from USC, Washington. At least he gets small, runs with some power and falls forward on contact. McKnight is on stilts through the hole, not to mention, slow.

I thought he responded to coaching, and took it inside. They're trying to toughen him up, IMO, and he still has a way to go in that regard. If I had to cut back to three RB's right now, Danny Woodhead would be ahead of both of these guys, but yeah, I think McKnight's ahead of Washington. I'd love to have a backup bruiser to Greene, and wish Washington was that guy, but he's not. He looks a little better than McKnight running inside, but McKnight has the extra gear that's going to keep him ahead in this competition - again, IMO.

I think he should have a legitimate shot at the team's #1 punt returner. I know it was just one return, but rookies often come into the league struggling to even catch a punt. He didn't bobble one, and then broke that long gainer. I'd so rather have a backup in that role than Jim Leonhard.

I thought he responded to coaching, and took it inside. They're trying to toughen him up, IMO, and he still has a way to go in that regard. If I had to cut back to three RB's right now, Danny Woodhead would be ahead of both of these guys, but yeah, I think McKnight's ahead of Washington. I'd love to have a backup bruiser to Greene, and wish Washington was that guy, but he's not. He looks a little better than McKnight running inside, but McKnight has the extra gear that's going to keep him ahead in this competition - again, IMO.

I think he should have a legitimate shot at the team's #1 punt returner. I know it was just one return, but rookies often come into the league struggling to even catch a punt. He didn't bobble one, and then broke that long gainer. I'd so rather have a backup in that role than Jim Leonhard.

Meh, maybe I'm just wearing the negative glasses with Joe...but I wasnt that impressed by he punt return either. He didnt have any burst on that at all. He should have scored...watch the highlight on nfl.com/videos he tried to get the sideline toward the end when he should have just thrown on the burners and go forward to the endzone...I just dont think he has the speed.

I agree he ran harder inside....but his first step is slow and he goes through the hole slow. For a slashing, change of pace runner...he just doesnt have the speed imo to make it at this level.

Jamaal Westerman (prediction - he will be starting opposite Pace in 2011 - you heard it here first)

Marquice Cole (this guy should absolutely be kept over Drew Coleman if it comes down to those two for one spot)Brodney Pool (I like this guy's range)

Nick Folk (we finally have a kicker who can kick off into the end zone consistently - and so far, so good with the FG accuracy)

Don't get too excited about those kickoffs yet. Remember, in 80+ degree heat, it's MUCH easier to kick a football.

Meh, maybe I'm just wearing the negative glasses with Joe...but I wasnt that impressed by he punt return either. He didnt have any burst on that at all. He should have scored...watch the highlight on nfl.com/videos he tried to get the sideline toward the end when he should have just thrown on the burners and go forward to the endzone...I just dont think he has the speed.

I agree he ran harder inside....but his first step is slow and he goes through the hole slow. For a slashing, change of pace runner...he just doesnt have the speed imo to make it at this level.

He's not an NFL ready RB. This much is clear. He's a fourth round pick with a lot of natural ability. He was there in the fourth because he has some issues - and we've seen those on the field and on Hard Knocks. The guy has to be brought up to speed, and he has to respond to coaching. I saw an improvement from Monday to last night - a night where the rest of the offense was absolutely horrible. To me, that's a good start.

A slow first step in this league often means a player is thinking rather than reacting. That also takes a little time to get thru.

He's almost certain to make the final roster. I'd like to see him as the punt returner because it would be good for him and potentially good for the Jets. It's a good way for him to get real game reps and learn to just react. It's nice to have a TD threat back there -and I think he could be one- but you just really need a guy who can reliably catch the ball and approach a 10 average. I think he can do that. I'll tell you this, I don't like Leonhard or Cotchery back there. I don't like starters in return roles unless they're absolute gamebreakers - and neither of these guys are.

He's not an NFL ready RB. This much is clear. He's a fourth round pick with a lot of natural ability. He was there in the fourth because he has some issues - and we've seen those on the field and on Hard Knocks. The guy has to be brought up to speed, and he has to respond to coaching. I saw an improvement from Monday to last night - a night where the rest of the offense was absolutely horrible. To me, that's a good start.

A slow first step in this league often means a player is thinking rather than reacting. That also takes a little time to get thru.

He's almost certain to make the final roster. I'd like to see him as the punt returner because it would be good for him and potentially good for the Jets. It's a good way for him to get real game reps and learn to just react. It's nice to have a TD threat back there -and I think he could be one- but you just really need a guy who can reliably catch the ball and approach a 10 average. I think he can do that. I'll tell you this, I don't like Leonhard or Cotchery back there. I don't like starters in return roles unless they're absolute gamebreakers - and neither of these guys are.

Well, that's kind of where I disagree. I just dont see that ability, he's never had a great burst. I didnt really see it at USC either. The kid took pitch sweeps in college with huge holes in front of him. He's not a guy that's going to make people miss and he certainly isnt a guy that's going to break a lot of tackles. I wish the Jets had drafted a bruiser in that slot if they really wanted another back.

I respect your loyalty to the player, but I'm going to have to see McKnight prove something he never even proved at USC: that he wants to play football. There's got to be a lot more tearing down and building back up before I see him as anything more than a kid who's trying to float by on a high school resume.

I was most impressed with the way Mike Westhoff has rebuilt his special teams units-also you're right DM; Kenwin Cummings hits like a frickin Mack truck-reminds me of Buttle/Mehl/Clifton era Jets LBers

Yeah that Cummins kid enjoys the violence it seems. You can never have enough of those guys. Westerman can fly off the edge too.

Yes Gholston made some plays but this is the NFL your supposed to make plays. This is the best Ive seen him play since hes been on the team . Easy to get excited becuse he made a few tackles one really good one when he taclked that back behind the LOS.

The offensive line stunk on all levels and D- Brick played poorly. Not too worried but they better get their head out of their asses. Ducasse is very raw and seems like he needs to turn up the intensity level a bit Slauson will start with out a doubt I think the kid needs a few years of grooming.

Special teams has looked good in both preseason games. Folk is nailing everything he does and this is great news if he can get back to his old form. Maybe the Cowboys did rush him back too soon after his injury because every day i keep reading that he goes 6 for 6 in training camp and hes 6 of 7 in preseaon games with nice kickoffs.

I love the way Westerman plays whenever this guy is on the field he makes big plays i would love to see him get more action in real games. Same with Cummings.

Mcknight looked like hes getting the message, He ran hard and got positive yards and I was looking for that. The kid delivered.

Rex and Tannenbaum desperately need Gholston to do just enough to justify giving him a roster spot so they can hang on to some credibility in the locker room. You'll see Gholston playing against a lot of future UPS drivers until the closing gun in hopes that he does what he did last night--accumulate some worthless stats.

Rex and Tannenbaum desperately need Gholston to do just enough to justify giving him a roster spot so they can hang on to some credibility in the locker room. You'll see Gholston playing against a lot of future UPS drivers until the closing gun in hopes that he does what he did last night--accumulate some worthless stats.

yep he'll be cut next year

I respect your loyalty to the player, but I'm going to have to see McKnight prove something he never even proved at USC: that he wants to play football. There's got to be a lot more tearing down and building back up before I see him as anything more than a kid who's trying to float by on a high school resume.

It's not even loyalty. I'm just never one who jumps on the kids. I don't mind being wrong showing a little faith in the rookies if they wind up not panning out. I never have bragging rights to say, I was the first to say he sucked!" Lol! This kid -like I said- is almost certainly going to make the roster. I'd like to see the Jets to put him in the best position to succeed. Saw an incremental improvement from Monday to Saturday night. Seemed like the entire offense took a step giant leap back last night, except for Joe McKnight. That's all.

I'll leave conspiracy theories to others. Just reporting what I saw. No one is saying Gholston has made it or we should get too excited. He made some plays and looked like a football player. However, compared to the utter and complete bust he has been to date, that is quite significant. Long, long way to go, but he made a big step in the right direction last night.

It's not even loyalty. I'm just never one who jumps on the kids. I don't mind being wrong showing a little faith in the rookies if they wind up not panning out. I never have bragging rights to say, I was the first to say he sucked!" Lol! This kid -like I said- is almost certainly going to make the roster. I'd like to see the Jets to put him in the best position to succeed. Saw an incremental improvement from Monday to Saturday night. Seemed like the entire offense took a step giant leap back last night, except for Joe McKnight. That's all.

If this offense continues to sputter I think its finally time for sh*ttenheimer to go. We still look predictable and hes still running 4 wide with no back in the backfield which NEVER works in our favor.

Theres no excuse about talent with this offense. I wish he would just GTFO of here and we can put Callahan in charge

If this offense continues to sputter I think its finally time for sh*ttenheimer to go. We still look predictable and hes still running 4 wide with no back in the backfield which NEVER works in our favor.

Theres no excuse about talent with this offense. I wish he would just GTFO of here and we can put Callahan in charge

yea they keep saying he's an up and coming coach in this league but why has nobody made any offers?

yea they keep saying he's an up and coming coach in this league but why has nobody made any offers?

He was invited to interview for the head job in Buffalo and he declined.

I don't love him, but I think the hate he gets on the boards is ridiculous. They are probably going 4 wide because that's what should eat the Ravens up. The Ravens have no DBs. They are preparing for week 1, not game planning against the Panthers.

post whoring time

pressure builds diamonds. way to build the pressure.

Taking Brunell out to the barn and shooting him would be an act of mercy for all concerned.

Or they could make it a competititon. throw Kellen and Brunell out there for a game of Asses up. first one to nail the other with the football wins the job.

I was most impressed with the way Mike Westhoff has rebuilt his special teams units-also you're right DM; Kenwin Cummings hits like a frickin Mack truck-reminds me of Buttle/Mehl/Clifton era Jets LBers

special teams looks great so far. hope it translates

I don't love him, but I think the hate he gets on the boards is ridiculous. They are probably going 4 wide because that's what should eat the Ravens up. The Ravens have no DBs. They are preparing for week 1, not game planning against the Panthers.

what he said

Your looking for a good reason for what Schotty does. This never ends well.

Your looking for a good reason for what Schotty does. This never ends well.

Blah, blah, blah. You act as if you are alone in this anti-Schottenheimer crusade when 3/4 of this board was on that bandwagon before you even got here. This is typical Jets fan talk. Everybody on the team is either the best or the worst. The fact is, Schottenheimer is a fair OC. Like many of them, he has a tendency to outsmart himself and get too cute. Big ****ing deal. Almost every decent OC I've ever seen does that. Is he the be all, end all? Nope, but I doubt Callahan is going to be this great revelation. He didn't do very well in Nebraska and things didn't end very well for him in Oakland either.

Archived