1) Sanchez set to start- On Thursday New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan announced that quarterback Mark Sanchez will start on Sunday. The amount of playing of time has yet to be determined, but Ryan wants to keep Sanchez and the offense in their normal routine. I like the move by Rex and still cannot see the starters playing more than a half.
2) Jets fined 100K- The New York Jets were fined $100,000 by the NFL for the Sal Alosi “Tripgate” incident. The NFL stated that the fine was not only for the tripping incident, but for the comments made by special teams coach Mike Westhoff as well. Westhoff made some references to the New England Patriots sideline practices, which is against league rules as all complaints should be filed directly to the league and not through to the media. Again I ask, why have the Jets not fired Alosi yet? I think it is pretty obvious that Rex and Westhoff knew about the sideline wall.
3) Jets sign Trufant, Kroul- On Thursday the New York Jets announced that they have signed defensive back Isaiah Trufant to the active roster, and defensive lineman Matt Kroul to the practice squad.
Expect Trufant, a former UFL Defensive Player of the Year, to see a substantial amount of playing time on Sunday as the Jets are looking for as much as help as they can get in the secondary.
4) Woody, Ihedigbo, and Ellis out on Sunday– Offensive lineman Damien Woody and safety James Ihedigbo have been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Bills. In addition there is a good chance that Shaun Ellis will not play on Sunday as he is nursing a lower back injury.
5) McKnight to get reps- Expect to see rookie running back Joe McKnight get a ton of snaps on Sunday as the Jets will rest Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson. McKnight has really been coming on as of late, especially on special teams, where he continues to make plays all over the field. Side note: LT is only 86 yards away from 1,000 for the season, but has stated that he is more worried about a run for a championship than an individual accomplishment. With that being said I do not expect to see much of LaDainian on Sunday.
6) Another distraction for the Jets? The New York Daily News is reporting that there are new photos of Rex Ryan’s wife Michelle on the internet. Not for nothing but isn’t there anything else to write about? This story has gotten old quickly and no one truly seems to care about it.
On behalf of JetNation.com I would like to wish all of you and your families a very Happy and Healthy New Year!