After the New York Jets beat the New England Patriots in the playoffs earlier this year, Bart Scott made headlines with his tagline, “Can’t Wait”.
Apparently Bart Scott practices what he preaches and he really can’t wait. The NFL lockout was lifted last night and Bart Scott, along with 5 other Jets, showed up at the facility in Florham Park today for workouts. Although they weren’t allowed to workout, it is the thought that counts.
The Jets who reported to work and left quickly Tuesday included offensive tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson, who had a league-high $750,000 workout bonus. The other players: Jerricho Cotchery, Brandon Moore, Bart Scott, David Harris and Mike DeVito.
“This experience is quite awkward,” Moore told the Daily News after leaving the Jets facility. “This shows how silly it’s gotten.”
Moore, who had hip surgery after the season, wanted to see the Jets trainer, but was told he was at a meeting outside the building. Moore was there for about 10 minutes. He said Jets executives Ari Nissim and Dave Szott greeted him as he walked in the building. Nissim told him Moore was free to sit in the office or walk around the halls, but that the weight room was closed. It was non-confrontational.
Moore said a lot of players are out of town, so the fact that six showed up on Tuesday is a fair representation.
This situation still is far from ideal and is not resolved completely but they do seem a step closer to preparing for football again. So that makes this a good thing. Tell us what you think in our New York Jets football forum.