New York Jets News and Notes
1) Defensive line working out together- It was not exactly Mark Sanchez’ “Jets West” practice arrangement, but on Thursday several members of the New York Jets defensive line met up to start working out together. Sione Pouha, Mike Devito, Muhammad Wilkerson, Ropati Pitoitua, and Jamaal Westerman met up at a high school in north Jersey to start working on technique and line drills. The group will reportedly meet up to 3 times a week to work out, with veteran Shaun Ellis expected to join them.
I am encouraged to hear that Ellis will be working with the group as this could open the door for Shaun (the longest tenured Jet) to return to Gang Green. As of now Ellis is an unrestricted free agent.
2) Jets ranked #10 Organization- Recently Adam Schein from FOXSports.com released his 2011 NFL Organizational Rankings. The rankings were based on six categories — owner, quarterback, head coach, front office, coaching staff and intangibles, which include facilities, fan support and public relations. Schein’s top ten:
1 Green Bay Packers
2 New Orleans Saints
3 Pittsburgh Steelers
4 New England Patriots
5 Philadelphia Eagles
6 Indianapolis Colts
7 New York Giants
8 Atlanta Falcons
9 Baltimore Ravens
10 New York Jets
Not for nothing, but how exactly are the Giants ranked ahead of the Jets? When was Big Blue’s last playoff victory? An argument can be made that the Patriots and Eagles are a bit overrated as well.
3) Plaxico set to be released- On Monday Plaxico Burress will be released from the Oneida Correctional Facility. Burress, who served 21 months in prison, will look to return to the NFL and will be an unrestricted free agent.
The Jets reportedly have an interest in Burress, but no one truly knows if the interest is being used to create leverage in the contract talks with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. At this point I believe the Jets preference is to retain the services of Holmes and Edwards, with Burress joining the likes of Randy Moss as a contingency plan.
4) Team workout on hold- New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is in the midst of planning a team workout, but will wait until the upcoming court decisions/mediation sessions are completed before doing so.
5) Emanuel Cook interview- Recently New York Jets safety Emanuel Cook took the time to answer a few questions. See: Inside the NY Jets: Interview with Emanuel Cook
NY Jets Phase 3 OTAs, Expectations and a Minor Calf Tweak with Greg Renoff