Jets Schedule Released, set to Face Rex’s Bills in Season Finale Again
By Glenn Naughton
The NFL released its schedules today and there are some notable games for Gang Green in 2016. Beginning with their home opener on September 11th, and closing against Rex Ryan’s Bills yet again, only this time at home.
The Jets will also play in two Monday night contests. One against Todd Bowles’ former boss, Bruce Arians and the Arizona Cardinals on the road, and then at home against the Indianapolis Colts.
Full schedule with notes as released by the New York Jets.
- SEPTEMBER 11TH: The team will commemorate the 15th anniversary of September 11th when they open the season at home against Cincinnati. The home opener marks the seventh consecutive season the Jets began their slate of games at MetLife Stadium.
- PRIME-TIME GAMES: The Jets will be featured in prime time five times, including two Monday Night Football contests (Oct. 17 at Arizona and Dec. 5 vs. Indianapolis), as well as matchups against all three divisional opponents, including a Thursday night clash at Buffalo (Sept. 15), a Sunday night matchup vs. New England (Nov. 27) and aSaturday night tilt vs. Miami (Dec. 17). This is only the third time in franchise history the Jets have had five prime-time games in a season and the first time since the team did it consecutively in in 2010 and 2011.
- ROAD TRIPS: Between Weeks Two and Six, the Jets will play four of their five games on the road, including two primetime face-offs. The last time the Jets went on the road for four games in five weeks was the 2007 season.
- MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: After facing their former division rivals, Indianapolis, on Monday for the first time last season, the Jets will again face the Colts (Dec. 5) on a Monday in Week 13, this time at MetLife Stadium. That contest will mark their second on Monday Night as they will have previously travelled to Arizona for a Week Six game against the Cardinals (Oct. 17) and Head Coach Bruce Arians.
- BYE WEEK: With a bye during Week 11, the Jets matched 2014 for their latest bye since 2002 when the league expanded to 32 teams. Since 2005, nine of their 12 Bye Weeks have come in Week Eight or later.
- HOME FINALE: The Jets finish their 2016 regular season slate at home for the first time since 2010 as they face off against Buffalo (Jan. 1) for the second consecutive season and the fourth time since 2010.
- “TRI-CAST”: This season, the NFL will use a “Tri-Cast” distribution model of broadcast (CBS/NBC), cable (NFL Network) and digital (Twitter) for 10 Thursday Night Football games. CBS and NBC will each broadcast five ThursdayNight Football games which will be simulcast on NFL Network and streamed to a global audience across devices for free on Twitter.
2016 New York Jets Schedule
|8/19||Friday||at Washington||7:30 p.m.||CBS|
|8/27||Saturday||NY Giants||7:30 p.m.||Tickets||CBS|
|9/1||Thursday||at Philadelphia||7:00 p.m.||CBS|
|9/15||Thursday||at Buffalo||8:25 p.m.||Tickets||CBS \ NFLN \ Twitter|
|9/25||Sunday||at Kansas City||4:25 p.m.||Tickets||CBS|
|10/9||Sunday||at Pittsburgh||1:00 p.m.^||Tickets||CBS|
|10/17||Monday||at Arizona||8:30 p.m.||Tickets||ESPN|
|10/30||Sunday||at Cleveland||1:00 p.m.^||Tickets||CBS|
|11/6||Sunday||at Miami||1:00 p.m.^||Tickets||CBS|
|11/13||Sunday||Los Angeles||1:00 p.m.^||Tickets||FOX|
|11/27||Sunday||New England||8:30 p.m.*||Tickets||NBC|
|12/11||Sunday||at San Francisco||4:05 p.m.*||Tickets||CBS|
|12/24||Saturday||at New England||1:00 p.m.*||CBS|
^Subject to Week 5-10 Flex Scheduling
*Subject to Week 11-17 Flex Scheduling
Flexible scheduling may be applied in Weeks 5-10. During that period, flexible scheduling can be used in no more than two weeks by shifting a Sunday afternoon game into primetime and moving the Sunday night game to an afternoon start time.
All games broadcast on ESPN New York 98.7 FM.