By Glenn Naughton
A few random thoughts, news items and links to previous articles surrounding the Jets as one set of OTA’s shuts down and training camp is just a couple of months away.
- Defensive back Corey White was added for potential depth in the secondary, but you have to wonder if he has a realistic shot to make the roster as a player who wasn’t able to stick with the New Orleans Saints, who have had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL for what feels like the past decade.
- Hiring their first ever female coach, Collette Smith, who will work as an intern with the team’s defensive backs, led to some interesting feedback from fans in the JetNation.com forums that you can read here. Fans appear to be split over whether this is a legitimate decision, or a PR move by the team.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN New York pointed out tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins’ offseason weight loss which could bode well for him as a receiver. However, both Seferian-Jenkins and draft choice Jordan Leggett shouldn’t be asked to line up as an in-line blocker if the team values the lives of any of their quarterbacks. Coming in lighter isn’t likely to help Seferian-Jenkins anchor against bull-rushing defenders.
- Round six choice Derrick Jones, a cornerback out of Ole Miss spent a lot of time moving back and forth between receiver and cornerback in college. For that reason, there’s not a ton of info available on him, but one of our JetNation.com members provided fans with an in-depth breakdown that’s worth watching if you’re looking for reasons to be optimistic about Jones. Check it out here.
- Speaking of Jones, GM Mike Maccagnan chose to pass on a cornerback early with a supremely talented class this year. That was somewhat reminiscent of John Idzik passing on so many talented wide receivers in 2014 when it was one of the team’s top needs. Did Maccagnan pull an Idzik?
- He’s a long shot to make the roster with the addition of running back Elijah McGuire, but in their search for a return man, don’t overlook second year running back Romar Morris, an undrafted free agent out of North Carolina who spent last season on IR. The 5′ 10” 190 lb Morris reportedly ran a 4.36 40 at his pro day last season and averaged 22.1 yards per return as a kick returner at NC. He also posted a respectable 4.8 YPC in the run game.
- The addition of offensive lineman Alex Balducci earlier this offseason is a curious move. Having played defensive tackle in college, Balducci was moved to the O-line by Chip Kelly. As a pro, Balducci has played a total of 3 snaps on the offensive line. He must have looked pretty impressive in those 3 snaps to get claimed by the Jets.
- In a press conference with reporters following OTA’s, defensive coordinator said that in retrospect, the team should have given cornerback Juston Burris more playing time last season. The admission was one that riled up some fans, but here’s to hoping this staff is starting to realize that giving young players some reps over under-performing veterans isn’t a bad thing.
The Jets will resume OTA’s today. For a full rundown on all remaining OTA and mandatory camp dates, click here.