Jets vs Dolphins; a Last Minute Look
The Jets will get ready to kick off the home portion of their schedule against the Miami Dolphins this afternoon at MetLife Stadium, and here are a few last-minute thoughts and stats.
- Right guard Brian Winters has already been ruled out by head coach Todd Bowles. Bowles didn’t rule out the possibility of going with Brent Qvale at right guard, but Dakota Dozier should get a look. Prior to Winters being shelved with his injury last week, Jets running backs were averaging 2.6 yards per carry. Once Dozier stepped in, that number doubled to 5.2 yards per rush.
- If the interior of the Jets defense, namely linebackers Demario Davis and Darron Lee, are invisible once again, there’s likely another blowout loss in the cards for Gang Green. If that’s the case, and Bowles again decides not to take a look at any of the young quarterbacks, he will likely, and rightfully, get plenty of heat from fans and media alike. Trotting Josh McCown out there to mop up a loss makes zero sense.
- Jeremy Kerley saw 44 reps on offense last week while promising rookie ArDarius Stewart got only eight. That was one of the more puzzling decisions we’ve seen from Bowles to date. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues. If it does, “interesting” becomes “scary”.
- A pair of players left off of our “players to watch” from our Jets/Dolphins preview would be Buster Skrine and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Look for Skrine to get skewered on a regular basis if he lines up against Jarvis Landry while Seferian-Jenkins can give an already surprising offense a bit of a boost in the passing game.
- As much as fans are tired of seeing Matt Forte at running back, continuing to use him split out wide as a receiver to create mismatches is something John Morton shouldn’t abandon.
Kickoff is just a few hours away folks, enjoy game day!
New York Jets OTA Presser Takeaways, Aaron Rodgers' Impact and Summer Delusion