As Jets GM Mike Maccagnan met with reporters in Orlando today, there were a few interesting notes passed along from several writers in attendance. A few takeaways:
- Having already worked out Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen, the Jets are set to meet with quarterback Josh Allen to conduct a private workout of the last of the “big four” quarterbacks in this year’s draft.
#Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said he will have a private workout for Josh Allen next week. Already did same for Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield. Maccagnan says he's seen plenty of Sam Darnold and likely won't have private workout for him.
— Darryl Slater (@DarrylSlater) March 26, 2018
- The contract offer made to defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh was a one-year offer with a deadline that came and passed, so the team moved on. Head coach Todd Bowles was reportedly aware of the events as they unfolded.
- The Jets talked to the Browns about moving up to the top spot in the draft but it sounded as if next year’s first round pick was part of the price, so the Jets passed.
- Currently sitting at 3 is a good place to be, but Maccagnan said the team isn’t necessarily “locked in” to that spot, suggesting another move isn’t out of the question.
GM Mike Maccagnan tells reporters: 3rd is a very good spot, but it’s not as if we’re locked in there. #Jets
— Eric Allen (@eallenjets) March 26, 2018
- In regards to the team’s plans for the future, Maccagnan noted the likelihood of Gang Green having over $100 million in cap space again next year.
With several players added through free agency, the third overall pick and 12 picks over the next two drafts along with $100 million in cap room next season, the Jets rebuild looks to be moving along quite nicely.