As we approach the 2020 season, all focus has been on how to improve Sam Darnold’s situation. Not only is protection a main priority but finding play-makers on offense as well. Since the departure of Robby Anderson it’s on Joe Douglas to find a solution. Luckily, this draft has a ton of talent that can be found on day one, two and three of the draft. But the questions remains, who is the right fit for Darnold and Adam Gase?
One target for Gang Green should undoubtedly be Denzel Mims out of Baylor. Mims has all the tools to be an elite play-maker in any type of offense. He possess the size, speed, physicality and a broad catch radius. There was many projections as to where Mims may land, but after his stellar performance at the NFL combine it would seem that he has boosted his stock into the Top 5 conversation as far as receivers are concerned.
- 186 receptions 2925 yards and 28 touchdowns in 40 games
- 200 Meter State Champion from Texas
Consistently wins at catch point 🏈🙌🏻
— Alex Varallo (@NYJetsLife24) March 3, 2020
NFL Combine Notes:
- 4.39 Forty time
- 38.5 Vertical Jump
- 10’11” Broad Jump
Versatile athlete with track and basketball background. His testing at the combine showcased elite speed and a strong lower body in vertical/broad jump.
Baylor WR Denzel Mims with a 4.39!🔥
Second time is a charm.
— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) February 28, 2020
- Quality Blocker, takes pride is dominating his opponent and wearing them down physically. Puts forth tremendous effort and play through the whistle
- Good Route Runner: Uses the same cadence on run and pass plays to throw off the Cornerback from recognizing tendencies. Sets up moves to beat his opponent later in the game
- Excellent boundary awareness near for sideline receptions
- When getting vertical he is sure handed and physical at the catch point. Maintains body control and secures the football before hitting the ground
- Useful as a deep threat, tracks the ball well while in air. Exercises patience and late suddenness when reacting to the football, limits the Cornerback from defending the pass
- Big time Red zone threat, uses his basketball skills to box out defenders and create separation. Makes easier throwing windows for his Quarterback
Draft Projection: 2nd Round