Rule Changes & Jersey # Options
The NFL announced that several rule changes were approved for the 2021 season. The full list is below and most of them are technical but two that fans will like are:
- Overtime has been eliminated in the preseason
- Jersey # Changes
Under the new rule, players will be able to wear …
Defensive backs: 1–49
Running backs, full backs, tight ends, H-backs, and wide receivers: 1–49 and 80-89
Offensive linemen: 50–79;
Defensive linemen: 50–79 and 90–99;
Linebackers: 1–59 and 90–99. https://t.co/EhTnOVX7RJ
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) April 21, 2021
Here is the full press release from the NFL Media Relations department.
Approved 2021 Playing Rules and Bylaws
1. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 16, to eliminate overtime in the preseason.
2. By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 3, for one year only, to establish a maximum number of players in the setup zone.
4. By Competition Committee, Coaches Subcommittee, and Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, and Rule 19, Section 2, to permit the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department to provide certain objective information to the on-field officials.
5. By Chicago; to amend Rule 11, Section 3, Article 3, to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive Try attempts.
6. By Los Angeles Rams; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2, to add a loss of down for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.
7. By Kansas City Chiefs; to amend Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to expand jersey number options for certain positions.
Approved 2021 Bylaws Summary
2. By Competition Committee; to amend Article XII, Section 12.4 of the Constitution and Bylaws to require clubs to submit tryouts and visits to the League office throughout the entire year; however, such transactions will only be reported to clubs from the start of training camp through the conclusion of the Super Bowl, unless it is with a Restricted or Unrestricted Free Agent.
Stop by our forums to read more about the 2021 NFL rule changes and see what fans are saying.