The NY Jets beat the NY Giants in a preseaon game tonight by a score of 27 to 25. This was Rex Ryan’s first win and the story for the Jets was Mark Sanchez. He completed the day 13 of 20 passing with 149 yards. He threw 1 touchdown to Chansi Stuckey when he was under a ton of pressure. This is the preseason so it doesn’t mean much, but it was nice to see Sanchez having some success.
Other thoughts from the game:
- Is Tiki Barber the Giants Wide Receiver coach? Those guys have more balls slip through their hands than Sperm Edwards during fleet week.
- Bart Scott brings an intensity to this defense that Jets fans just haven’t seen before. Ripping the ball out of Brandon Jacobs hands to cause a fumble is impressive.
- The Giants wideouts did drop a lot of passes, but it is nice to see another starting QB complete less than 50% of his passes (Eli Manning was 9 for 21 on the day).
- Vernon Gholston is not going to start when Calvin Pace is suspended the first four weeks of the season. Simply put, he doesn’t do anything well. He wasn’t blocked on one play and turned that into a personal foul instead of a sack.
- The Giants fans did the wave. Wow.
- If he stays healthy and the Jets don’t sign him soon, Leon Washington is going to get a much bigger contract than he originally imagined. 9 carries, 62 yards and it looks like the coaches are serious about getting him more involved in the offense.
- Danny Woodhead will be waived soon. Nice story after getting hurt last year and we wish him well but his future isn’t in the NFL.
- Aundrae Allison started his touchdown celebration about 30 yards too early and almost cost the Jets a touchdown. It was a great play but he needs to know that he can celebrate after he crosses the goal line, not a second before.
- Reggie Hodges was okay averaging 40.6 yards on 7 punts for the night. Glenn Pakulak was signed yesterday but didn’t punt. It will be interesting to see what the plan is here.
- Nice to see the Jets close to full capacity on defense, welcome back Kris Jenkins and Darrelle Revis.
Join in on the conversation here.