Game Observations (Jets Top Titans)
Even though it was only a pre-season game here are some of the things that stood out after re-watching the tape:
– OLine pass protection of the #1 and #2 units kept the pocket relatively clean. The run blocking was shaky though and needs to improve particularly up the middle.
– Robby Anderson regularly getting open in his reps and hauling in that 40+ yard bomb. Speaking of which, credit to Josh McCown for reaching Anderson something Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do .
– Elijah McGuire showed good wiggle and the ability to find holes. Unfortunately both of his big runs were called back because of penalties.
– Christian Hackenberg had a crisp “game manager” performance which was a good first step. Excellent completion percentage (72%), good accuracy and a quick release were his big positives. His yardage and point production would’ve been better if not for some key drops. He needs to improve his speed getting out of the huddle and processing things at the line because he wasted multiple time outs.
– Too many key drops that killed drives which could’ve led to points.
– The run defense was surprisingly shaky particularly up the middle.
– Defensively the team speed was outstanding. And the pressure on the QB was
relentless whether it came from the pass rush or blitz packages. Improved play by the secondary allowed the front 7 to get “home”.
– Leonard Williams was “beastly”.
– Excellent all around games by the LB’s Julian Stanford, Josh Martin and Jordan Jenkins. Demario Davis took his strong camp into the game and continues to look like an upgrade over David Harris.
– Other defenders with good performances were Anthony Johnson (DE), Dexter McDougle (CB) and Doug Middleton (S).
– Good tackling by the special team units and Frankie Hammond had a couple of nice returns.
After watching what the defense did to TEN that could explain why the offense has struggled in camp with:
– WR’s getting free from press coverage
– OLine picking up blitz packages
– Coverage sacks
Because the Titans were dominated in those areas all game.
We want to hear what you think. Join the conversation in our NY Jets message board.