Monday Morning Thoughts; Jets Top Jaguars
The best way to describe the win over JAX is an ugly, entertaining roller coaster ride. The Jet OLine was the major factor in this physical, “phone booth” game let’s take a look:
– A scrappy, feisty and resilient effort because there were plenty of opportunities to hang their heads. Is this team developing an identity?
– Have we seen the last of Matt Forte? With the dynamic performances of Bilal Powell and Elijah McGuire can the coaching staff really take reps away from them and give them to a 31 year old RB? What a pleasure to have RB’s that are always a threat to break off 50+ yard runs.
– Excellent game by the entire OLine as they dominated the JAX front and generated over 200 yards on the ground. Don’t let the sack stats fool you, at least 2-3 of those were because Josh McCown held the ball too long. And don’t forget Brent Qvale was subbing for Brandon Shell, credit to Steve Marshall (OLine coach) for having the backups ready to play.
– David Bass with another excellent game as he continued to bring edge pressure. He had a sack a TFL and did a good job setting the edge in the run game. Lorenzo Mauldin needs to take note as he recovers on IR.
– Kony Ealy with a huge impact game as he had 4 pass blocks and an INT that set up a FG.
– Leonard Williams with a nice game clogging up the run lanes and breaking down JAX OLine schemes multiple times.
– Josh McCown ended up with good “game manager” stats but he has to show better decision making. He held the ball too long on a number of occasions which led to sacks. And to me the scoop & score that made it 20-17 was his fault because he rushed the pass to Powell. After the 40+ yard bomb to Robby Anderson there was no need to rush the next play. Be conservative and run the clock there was no way Blake Bortles was going to generate two scores in the 4th quarter.
– Lachlan Edwards with a rollercoaster ride of a game. The lows were the short punt in OT that put JAX on the edge of FG range. And not being aware at the end of the first half that he needed to be on the field for the FG attempt which led to a delay of game penalty. Edwards was celebrating one of his highs, the fake punt pass as the clock was ticking down. The other high was the 70 yard punt which pinned JAX back inside the 5 yard line.
– Props to Chandler Catanzaro for the game winning FG but you can’t miss the kick at the end of the first half.
– Good follow up game by Demario Davis as he continued to be physical and laid some serious licks on Chris Ivory & Leonard Fournette.
– The self-inflicted wounds have to be eliminated because this team isn’t good enough to overcome them on a regular basis. Penalties in FG range, holding the ball too long for sacks and not being aware that you’re needed on the field can’t happen.
– Robby Anderson was relatively quiet because of the excellent play by AJ Bouye & Jalen Ramsey. But his speed is ridiculous because on the 40 yard bomb he torched Bouye with a simple stutter move.
– Blake Bortles stinks and his coaching staff knows it. They play around him hoping he doesn’t screw up the game.
– The Jets should send Marquise Lee a game ball as he had a huge drop in OT. And he then mishandled Edwards punt which put them inside the 10 yard line.
You can read more about these thoughts and see what Jets fans are saying in our New York Jets message board.
New York Jets OTA Presser Takeaways, Aaron Rodgers' Impact and Summer Delusion