The Jets physically manhandled BUF in the trenches on both sides of the ball as they won their fourth game of the season. Let’s take a look:
– The OLine for the first time since JAX opened holes in the running game. Solid pass protection made the offense “two handed” as they pushed BUF around all game. John Morton dusted off the “Jumbo” package by deploying a six man line on occasion (Dakota Dozier) which led to 200 yards on the ground.
– After complaining last week about not running the ball enough, Matt Forte had a solid game gliding through holes and scoring his first TD’s of the season. Bilal Powell was explosive in his carries as he broke big runs.
– A rare poor game by Austin Seferian-Jenkins. As he had a penalty that nullified a long Powell run, an offensive pass interference that nullified a TD and fumbled an easy onside kick.
– Other than the TD pass to Robby Anderson, Josh McCown didn’t have any “wow” plays in the passing game. In fact he was lucky BUF dropped an easy INT early which could’ve been a game changing play. But credit to him for finally leading the team to points in the second half of a game.
– Tremendous effort by the defense as they generated seven sacks and three turnovers. Credit to the front seven as Jordan Jenkins, Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Steve McLendon, Kony Ealy and Mike Pennel bottled up McCoy all day.
– A total 180 by the ILB’s after a terrible opening day performance against BUF they dominated. Darron Lee and Demario Davis combined for 16 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 TFL’s. They were all over the field and have shown growth as the season has gone along.
– Lachlan Edwards deserves to be recognized for the excellent season he’s had. Consistent and “field flipping” punts all year long.
– What a fake game by Taylor as he generated meaningless stats when the game was already over. When the game was on the line he did absolutely nothing leading BUF to seven points. Be careful to any team looking to sign him to a long term contract, he’s not what his stats say he is.
Read more and see fan reaction in our NY Jets message board.