#JetsCamp Notes (7/27/19); 1st Day in Full Pads
– Players in full pads.
– Practice ran 2 hours 10 minutes.
– Unlike yesterday’s practice today didn’t have many “sexy” plays. With it being the first day in pads it seemed like the offense worked on installing running plays.
– A very interesting “chess match” practice between Adam Gase and Gregg Williams. The offense won the early 11 on 11 period as the run game (RPO’s) gouged the defense. But the defense bounced back in the later 11 on 11 period. Sniffing out the run game and showing excellent discipline when Gase tried a trick play.
– Something that I realized today is there has been a dramatic drop in penalties. In previous years in the span of 5-6 plays there would be 2-3 penalties. So far if there are 2-3 penalties for the entire practice its a lot.
– So far there also has been a dramatic drop in “busted” assignments due to poor communication on both sides of the ball.
Visit our forums to read more about NY Jets training camp
– Quinnen Williams first practice started with him having to do 20 up/downs in front of the defense. After that he mainly ran with the #2’s and flashed as he had a couple of interior pressures during the 11 on 11 periods.
– The #1 OLine should be recognized for their performance. With pads on they played “nasty” in the run game with Kelechi Osemele leading the way.
– With the run game being emphasized Ty Montgomery and Trenton Cannon stood out. Montgomery had at least 3 TD’s on runs that were all over 30+ yards. And Cannon had a nice day with a couple of 20+ yard runs and a couple of screen passes that he took for 30+ yards. LeVeon
Bell started the day with a 20+ yard outside run but then he disappeared inside
– Trumaine Johnson gave Sam Darnold his first INT when he undercut a throw headed for Jamison Crowder. Doug Middleton also had a nice diving INT of Trevor Siemian.
– The players that stood out for the defense as they recovered later in practice were Tarell Basham with a “sack” of Davis Webb. And Blake Cashman as he brought blitz pressure up the middle.
– Chandler Catanzaro had an up and down day as he started 0-3 (drawing boos from the fans) on his FG attempts. But he ended the day hitting his final 3 FG’s.
– Sam Darnold didn’t have a “sexy” day but continued to show good command of the offense. Consistently having 20+ seconds on the play clock allows him to process the defense and make adjustments if needed. So far Darnold isn’t forcing throws, he’s taking completions when the big plays aren’t there and moving the sticks. Even on his INT today I’ll give credit to Johnson for making a good play.
– Nothing of note today from Davis Webb or Trevor Siemian.
– Ty Montgomery
– Trenton Cannon
– OLine physicality (Kelechi Osemele leading the way)
– Gase / Williams chess match
– LeVeon Bell disappearances (what’s going on???)
New York Jets OTA Presser Takeaways, Aaron Rodgers' Impact and Summer Delusion