JetNation Tuesday Tidbits; McCown Starting, Sheldon Dominating and Dealing Dex
August 29th- A few notes, thoughts and links to previous articles on Gang Green to pass along:
- Earlier this week we wondered about Todd Bowles’ approach to his handling of the QB situation. Now that Josh McCown has been named the starter, Bowles claims the lack of playing time for McCown was in fact one of the scenarios from the piece as well as a discussion on JetNation radio; McCown was the starter in his mind, but Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg were being given a shot to take the job. According to Bowles, neither one of them did enough.
- The Jets made a curious move in trading cornerback Dexter McDougle to the Eagles in exchange for safety Terrance Brooks. McDougle was easily having his best camp as a pro, and if Morris Claiborne is lost to injury, the move will be roundly criticized once again. The deal is a real head scratcher unless the Jets feel it’s only a matter of time before McDougle, who has battled injuries his entire career, is dinged up again.
- The Jets signed defensive back Armagedon Draughn yesterday and listed him as a safety on their official roster. When asked about the signing, head coach Todd Bowles said the move was made to add another cornerback. Where he lines up, or if he lines up, remains to be seen.
- Claiming defensive end Kony Ealy off waivers from the Patriots could mean more bad news for Lorenzo Mauldin. Ealy won’t be a threat to Mauldin’s linebacker reps, but Jets beat writer Darryl Slater made a good point in mentioning that Mauldin was getting some time as a sub-package defensive end, a role that would fit Ealy perfectly.
- Sheldon Richardson was a one-man wrecking crew against the Giants on Saturday, serving as a reminder as to just how dominant he can be. In full re-build mode, it would make sense for Mike Maccagnan to try to move Richardson to a contender before the deadline if he’s playing at this level, allowing him to seek more than the 2nd rounder he was reportedly offered last season.
Any thoughts of your own to share? Log in here and join our forums on the busiest Jets fan message board on the internet.